Muhammad b. Hasan b. Zayn al-Din al-Amili
|Religious Affiliation||Twelver Shi'a|
|Well-Known Relatives||Author of Ma'alim, Al-Shahid al-Thani|
|Birth||Sha'ban 10, 980/December 16, 1572)|
|Residence||Juba' (Jabal Amel), Mecca|
|Studied in||Juba', Mecca|
|Death||Dhu l-Qa'da 10, 1030/September 26, 1621)|
|Burial Place||Al-Ma'lat Cemetery, Mecca|
|Professors||Sahib al-Madarik, Hasan b. Zayn al-Din al-Amili, Mirza Muhammad Astarabadi|
|Students||Zayn al-Din b. Muhammad (his son), Muhammad b. Ali al-Farhushi,|
|Works||Istiqsa' al-i'tibar fi sharh al-istibsar|
Fakhr al-Dīn Abū Ja'far Muḥammad b. Ḥasan b. Zayn al-Dīn al-'Āmilī (b. 980/1572 - d. 1030/1621) was the son of the Author of Ma'alim and a grandson of al-Shahid al-Thani. One of his most important writings is Istiqsa' al-i'tibar and his exposition of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya. He passed away in Mecca in 1030/1621.
Birth and Death
Shaykh Muhammad was born on Monday Sha'ban 10, 980/December 16, 1572. And he died on Monday night Dhu l-Qa'da 10, 1030/September 26, 1621 in Mecca. He was buried near the mausoleum of Khadija bt. Khuwaylid.
His first teacher was his father. He studied mostly with his father and Sayyid Muhammad al-Amili the author of al-Madarik. When they passed away, he migrated to Mecca where he attended the lectures of Mirza Muhammad Astarabadi, the author of Kitab al-rijal. He learned hadiths and rijal from Astarabadi.
Muhammad b. al-Hasan sometimes went to Damascus where he met with Sunni scholars. According to some sources, he was a master of rijal because of five years of his companionship with prominent scholars such as Muhammad Amin Astarabadi.
- Hasan b. Zayn al-Din al-'Amili (his father)
- Al-Sayyid Muhammad al-'Amili (Sahib al-Madarik)
- Mirza Muhammad al-Astarabadi
- Al-Shaykh Saraf al-Din al-Dimashqi
- Al-Shaykh Ali b. Mahmud al-'Aamili
- Al-Shaykh Zayn al-Din b. Ali b. Mahmud al-'Aamili
- His son, al-Shaykh Zayn al-Din
- Muhammad b. Ali al-Farhushi
- Ibrahim b. Ibrahim b. Fakhr al-Din al-'Amili
- Ahmad b. Ahmad b. Yusuf al-Sawadi al-'Amili
- Husayn b. Hasn al-'Amili
- Ali b. Ahamd b. Musa al-'Amili
- Istiqsa' al-i'tibar fi sharh al-istibsar in seven volumes discusses jurisprudential issues of tahara (cleanliness) through the issues of prayer. It is an exposition of al-Istibsar in a methodical and meticulous way, although it remained unfinished.
- Commentary on Tahdhib al-ahkam
- Glossary on Usul al-Kafi
- Glossary on al-Rawdat al-bahiyya
- Glossary on al-Madarik
- Glossary on Man la yahduruh al-faqih
In the Words of Others
Many prominent scholars praised and admired Muhammad b. al-Hasan al-Amili. He was greatly praised in the words of his son, Shaykh Ali, in al-Durr al-manthur, Shaykh Yusuf al-Bahrani in Lu'lu'at al-bahrayn, al-Shaykh al-Hurr al-Amili in Amal al-amil, and Sayyid Muhammad Baqir al-Khwansari in Rawdat.
According to a variety of sources, Shaykh Muhammad's asceticism and piety were his conspicuous moral characteristics. His son says, "He escaped from the material people and avoided suspicions." It is said that when people of Iraq did not pay their zakat, he purchased things for which zakat was obligatory (e.g. wheat and barley), paid its zakat, and then consumed it.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from محمد بن حسن بن زینالدین عاملی in Farsi WikiShia.