Ibrahim b. Mahziyar
|Ibrahim b. Mahziyar|
|Companion of||Imam al-Jawad (a), Imam al-Hadi (a), and Imam al-'Askari (a)|
|Religious Affiliation||Shi'a Islam|
|Wellknown Relatives||'Ali b. Mahziyar (brohter), 'Ali b. Ibrahim b. Mahziyar, Muhammad b. Ibrahim b. Mahziyar|
|Professors||'Ali b. Mahziyar, Salih b. Sindi, Faddala b. Ayyub, Ibn Abi 'Umayr|
Abū Isḥāq Ibrāhīm b. Mahzīyār al-Ahwāzī (Arabic: ابواسحاق ابراهیم بن مهزیار الاهوازی) is one of the Shi'a hadith narrators in the third/ninth centuries. He was the famous companion of Imam al-Jawad (a), Imam al-Hadi (a), and Imam al-'Askari (a). The scholars of 'ilm al-rijal consider him a reliable hadith transmitter, albeit they have different ideas about the level of his reliability in hadith transmission.
There is not enough information about his life. We can only get some information about him from the sources of 'ilm al-rijal and hadith. His ancestors lived in Dawraq in Khuzestan. His father was a Christian who converted to Islam. His brother, 'Ali b. Mahziyar, is also one of the reliable Shi'a hadith transmitters.
Companion of Three Imams
He was the companion of Imam al-Jawad (a) (d. 220/835), Imam al-Hadi (a) (d. 254/868), Imam Hasan al-Askari (a) (d. 260/874), and, according to some reports, Imam al-Mahdi (a). So it is estimated that he lived between 195/787 - 265/811. Ibn Babawayh has narrated a detailed hadith from Ibrahim which indicates that Ibrahim visited Imam al-Mahdi (a). However, some have doubted the authenticity of this hadith.
Al-Kashshi has narrated a hadith from Ibrahim's son, Muhammad, that shows that he had communication with Imam al-Mahdi's (a) agents. There is another hadith suggesting that he was his brother's legatee; and some rijal scholars consider this as a sign of his trustworthiness.  There is another hadith suggesting that he had been one of Imam al-'Askari's (s) agents, and also some of rijal scholars, such as Mamaqani, considered this a sign of his trustworthiness and authenticity.
Some believe, because Ibn Qulawayh has mentioned a hadith through Ibrahim in Kamil al-ziyarat, and because Ibn Qulawayh has said at the beginning of his book that he has only narrated from trustworthy narrators, Ibrahim can be considered trustworthy; however, al-'Allama al-Hilli believes that al-Kashshi's hadith is weak and has only praised him.
Apart from the hadiths that Ibrahim directly narrated from his contemporary Imams (a), he narrated other hadiths through:
Al-Bisharat is the only book which has been attributed to him. It is probable that this book is his brother's book, which Ibrahim narrated from and al-Najashi recorded it with the narrator's name as the author.
- Najāshī, Rijāl, vol. 2, p. 74-75.
- Ṣaffār, Baṣāʾir al-darajāt, p. 357; Ṭūsī, Rijāl, p. 399-410.
- Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn, p. 445-453.
- Kulaynī, Furūʿ al-Kāfī, vol. 4, p. 310.
- Nūrī, Mustadrak al-Wasāʾil, vol. 3, p. 550.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād, p. 681-682.
- Māmaqānī, Tanqīḥ al-maqāl, vol. 1, p. 37.
- Hillī, Khulāsat al-aqwāl, vol. 1, p. 51.
- Najāshī, Rijāl, vol. 2, p. 74-75.
- Ṭūsī, Fihrist, p. 265-266.
- Hillī, Ḥasan b. Yūsuf al-. Khulāsat al-aqwāl fī maʿrifat al-rijāl. Edited by Jawād al-Qayyūmī. [n.p]: Nashr al-Fiqāha, 1417 AH.
- Kulaynī, Muḥammad b. Yaʿqūb al-. Furūʿ al-Kāfī. Beirut: [n.p], 1401 AH.
- Māmaqānī, Mīrzā ʿAbd Allāh al-. Tanqīḥ al-maqāl fī aḥwāl al-rijāl. Najaf: al-Maṭbaʿa al-Murtaḍawīyya, 1352 AH.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿalā l-ʿibād. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Bihbūdī. Tehran: [n.p], 1351 Sh.
- Najāshī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī al-. Rijāl. Edited by Muḥammad Jawād Nāʾīnī. Beirut: [n.p], 1408 AH.
- Nūrī, Mīrzā Ḥusayn al-. Mustadrak al-Wasāʾil. Tehran: [n.p], 1321 AH.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Kamāl al-dīn. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Qom: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, 1395 AH.
- Ṣaffār, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Baṣāʾir al-darajāt. Edited by Muḥsen Kuchabāghī. Tehran: Manshūrāt al-Aʿlamī, 1381 Sh.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Fihrist. Edited by ʿAbd al-ʿAzīz Ṭabāṭabāyī. Qom: Maktabat al-Muḥaqiq Ṭabāṭabāyī, 1420 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Rijāl. Edited by Muḥammad Ṣādiq Āl Baḥr al-ʿUlūm. Najaf: [n.p], 1381 AH.