Thankfulness Prayer or Al-Shukr Prayer (Arabic: صَلاةُ الشُّکْر) is a recommended prayer performed to thank and express gratitude to God. Thankfulness Prayer does not have a special form, time or conditions and is performed as a normal "two-rak'a prayer". Like other recommended prayers, it can be performed while sitting, standing, walking, inside a vehicle, etc. But, it is better to be performed while standing.
However, a Thankfulness Prayer is narrated from Imam al-Sadiq (a) with a special instruction as below:
|“||"When you are bestowed a divine blessing, perform two rak'as of prayer. In the first rak'a, recite Qur'an 1 (Sura al-Fatiha) and then Qur'an 112 (Sura al-Ikhlas) and in the second rak'a, recite Qur'an 1 first and then recite Qur'an 109 (Sura al-Kafirun). In ruku' and sajda of the first rak'a say: "Al-ḥamd-u li-Allah shukr-an shukr-an wa ḥamd-an" (Arabic: اَلْحَمْدُ لِلهِ شُکْراً شُکْراً وَ حَمْداً) (All praise, thankfulness and gratitude belong to Allah); and, in ruku' and sajda of the second rak'a, say: "Al-ḥamd-u li-Allah al-ladhi-stajab-a du'a-'i wa a'ṭani mas'alati" (All praise belongs to God who fulfilled my du'a and met my request). (Arabic: اَلْحَمْدُ لِلهِ الَّذِی اسْتَجَابَ دُعَائِی وَ أَعْطَانِی مَسْأَلَتِی)||”|
In addition to this prayer mentioned in Shi'a sources, Sunnis too have transmitted a prayer from the Prophet (s), reporting that after the conquest of Mecca due to thank God for the victory, the Prophet (s) performed four "two-rak'a prayers" as a Thankfulness Prayer. Thus, some of the companions followed him (a) and performed this prayer after their victories.
- Yazdī, al-ʿUrwa al-wuthqā, vol. 2, p. 11.
- Kulaynī, al-Kāfī, vol. 3, p. 481; Ṭūsī, Miṣbāḥ al-mutahajjid, vol. 2, p. 532.
- Al-Sahifat al-Sajjadiyya, p. 162.
- Ibn Kathīr, al-Bidāya wa l-nihāya, vol. 1, p. 324.
- Al-Sahifat al-Sajjadiyya. Qom: Daftar Nashr al-Hādī, 1376 Sh.
- Ibn Kathīr, Ismāʿīl b. ʿUmar. Al-Bidāya wa l-nihāya. Beirut: Dār al-Fikr, 1407 AH.
- Kulaynī, Muḥammad b. Yaʿqūb al-. Al-Kāfī. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī & Muḥammad Ākhūndī. Fourth edition. Tehran: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, 1407 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Miṣbāḥ al-mutahajjid wa salāḥ al-mutaʿabbid. Beirut: Muʾassisat Fiqh al-Shīʿa, 1411 AH.
- Yazdī, Sayyid Muḥammad Kāẓim al-. Al-ʿUrwa al-wuthqā. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1419 AH.