Ziyarah 'Ashura' • al-Warith • Amin Allah • al-Jami'a al-Kabira • Al Yasin
Takbir • Tahmid • Tahlil • Tasbih • Tasbih of Lady Fatima (a) • Salawat • al-Yunusiyya • Istighfar
al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya • Mafatih al-jinan • Misbah al-mutihajjid • Iqbal al-a'mal • Miftah al-falah
|Days and Months|
Laylat al-Qadr • 15th Sha'ban • 'Arafa • Ramadan • Rajab • Dhu l-Hijja
Zīyārah al-Wārith (Arabic: زيارة الوارث) is one of the famous written texts for pilgrimage of Imam al-Husayn (a) in Karbala. It is one of the sections of a set of rituals Imam al-Sadiq (a) taught Safwan al-Jammal for pilgrimage of Imam al-Husayn (a). Some believe this text is recited during Eid al-Adha, and the day and night of Arafa. However, according to narrations it may be practiced any time with the intention of pilgrimage of Imam al-Husayn (a).
Eid al-Adha and the Day and Night of Arafa
It is worth mentioning that many other texts exist that are similar, specially to the first parts of this text.
The Manner of Reciting Ziyarah
In Misbah al-mutahajjid, al-Shaykh al-Tusi transmitted from Safwan al-Jammal, I asked the permission of Imam al-Sadiq (a) for the ziyarah of our master Imam al-Husayn (a) and asked him to give me an instruction for his ziyarah so that I perform ziyarah accordingly.
He (a) said, "O Safwan, before travel, fast for three days and perform ghusl on the third day. Then, gather your households and say, "O God, I surly trust you with …"" until the end of the supplication. Then, he (a) taught him a supplication to recite when he arrives to the Euphrates. Then he (a) said, "Perform ghusl using the water from the Euphrates. Truly, my father transmitted from his fathers that the Prophet (s) said, "Surly after me, my son, Husayn (a) will be killed beside the Euphrates. Anyone who visits him and performs ghusl in the Euphrates, his sins will fall and become like the day his mother gave birth to him." While you are performing ghusl, say,
- "In the name of God and by God; O God, make it [ghusl] a light and purity and shield and cure for all pains, illnesses, diseases and disabilities; O God, with it, purify my heart and expand my chest and ease my affair."
When you finish ghusl, put on two clean clothes and perform two rak'as of prayer where water is taken from the river. When you finish prayer, move toward the shrine's boundary with calmness and poise and make short steps. Surly, God will write for you hajj and umra for every step you make. Walk with humble heart and crying eyes and say, "Allah-u Akbar, La ilah-a illa Allah", praise God and say Salawat upon the Prophet (s) and especially upon Husayn (a) a lot and frequently say curses upon his killers and words of dissociation from those who found oppression and persecution against the Ahl al-Bayt (a).
When you arrive at the gate of the shrine's boundary, stand and recite the text of Ziyarah al-Warith"
Sources of Ziyarah al-Warith
- Sayyid b. Tawus, 'Ali b. Musa, Al-Iqbāl bi l-a'māl al-hasanah, vol.2, P. 63
- Ibn Mashhadi, Muhammad b. Ja'far, Al-Mazar al-kabir, P.462
- Kaf'ami, Ibrahim b. 'Ali, Al-Misbah, P.501,502
- al-Shaykh al-Mufid, Muhammad b. Muhammad b. Nu'man, Al-Mazar, p106
- al-Shaykh al-Tusi, Abu Ja'far Muhammad b. Hasan, Misbah al-mutahajjid wa silah al-muta'abbid, Vol.2, P.720
- Mufid, Muhammad b. Muhammad b. Nu'man al-. Al-Mazar. Qum: 1413
- Tusi, Abu Ja'far Muhammad b. al-Hasan al-. Misbah al-mutahajjid wa silah al-muta'abbid. Beirut: Mu'assisat Fiqh al-Shi'a, 1414.
- Sayyid b. Tawus, 'Ali b. Musa al-. Al-Iqbal bi-l-a'mal al-hasana. Qum: Dafter-i Tablighat-i Islami, 1376 Sh.
- Ibn al-Mashhadi, Muhammad b. Ja'far. Al-Mazar al-kabir. Qum: Daftar-i Intesharat-i Islami. 1419 AH.
- Kaf'ami, Ibrahim b. 'Ali al-. Al-Misbah (Jannat al-aman al-waqiya wa jannat al-iman al-baqiya. Qum: Dar al-Radi, 1405 AH.