- This article is about a mosque in Najaf. For a pillar in Masjid al-Nabawi, see Hannana Pillar.
Ḥannāna Mosque (Arabic: مسجد الحَنّانة) is located in the north of Najaf, on the way to Kufa. It is narrated that the site of this mosque lamented for the Ahl al-Bayt (a) two times: when the coffin of Imam 'Ali (a) was being carried and after the incident of Karbala. That is why it has been given the name Hannana ("The Lamenting").
Two Incidents Related to the Site
One incident, narrated to have taken place at the site of Hannana Mosque, is the sorrowful leaning of a pillar (or wall) when the coffin of Imam 'Ali (a) passed by it at his funeral. Imam al-Sadiq (a) has reportedly said, "When the coffin of Imam 'Ali (a) was being carried through this place, this pillar leaned out of sorrow for his demise, like the leaning of Abraha's throne at the entry of 'Abd al-Muttalib."
The second incident is narrated to have happened after the event of Karbala. On the road from Karbala to Kufa, the head of Imam al-Husayn (a) was put on the ground of the mosque. It is said that at this time, a sound was heard like the sound of a baby camel that had lost its mother. According to a hadith, Imam al-Sadiq (a), when traveling between Kufa and Najaf, would stop at that spot and pray. When asked about the reason, he would say, "They put the head of my grandfather Imam al-Husayn (a) here."
The Name of the Mosque
It is said that this mosque was named Hannana (weeper/mourner) because of the above-mentioned weeping of a pillar at its site. The weeping of the ground of the mosque, when the heads of the martyrs of Karbala were placed on it, is mentioned as an alternative explanation for the name. Some have said that the name is driven from "Hanna," the name of an old Christian monastery there.
- al-Shaykh al-Tusi, Amali, p. 682
- 'Allama al-Majlisi, Bihar al-anwar, vol. 97, p. 455
- al-Shaykh al-Tusi, Amali, p. 682; 'Allama al-Majlisi, Bihar al-anwar, vol. 97, p. 454
- Zamani, Siyri dar sarzamin khairiha, p. 436
- 'Allama al-Majlisi, Muhammad Baqir al-. Bihar al-anwar li durar akhbar al-a'imma al-athar. Beirut: Mu'assisa al-Wafa'.
- Kulayni, Muhammad b. Ya'qub al-. Al-Kafi. Tehran: Dar al-Kutub al-Islamiyya, 1986.
- Qummi, 'Abbas. Mafaih al-jinan.
- Shaykh al-Tusi, Muhammad b. al-Hasan al-. Amali. Qum: 1414AH.
- Zamani, Ahmad. Siyri dar sarzamin khairiha. Tehran: Mash'ar, 1392Sh.
- Ibn Qulawayh, Ja'far b. Muhammad. Kamil al-ziyarat. Najaf: Mat'abat al-Muradawiyya.