Zayd b. Sawhan Mosque
Mosque of Zayd b. Ṣawḥān (Arabic: مَسْجِد زَیْد بن صَوْحان) is an old mosque in Kufa located at the southern side of al-Sahla Mosque and near al-Sa'sa'a Mosque. The building of the mosque has been repaired and reconstructed many times. Particular practices are recommended for this mosque in books of supplications.
Zayd b. Sawhan
- Main article: Zayd b. Sawhan
Zayd b. Sawhan was a Shi'a and a companion of Imam 'Ali (a). His hand was injured in the war with Persians. Before the Battle of Jamal, Zayd called people of Kufa to support Imam 'Ali (a). He and his tribe went to the battle and he was martyred then. Zayd fasted many days of the year and spent nights worshiping God.
The Mosque of Zayd is located on the southwestern side of al-Sahla Mosque and it is attributed to Zayd b. Sawhan, a companion of Imam 'Ali (a). The main building of the mosque was destroyed and in its last reconstruction in 1395/1975, a completely new building was constructed. The mosque has an area of 165 square meters.
In his Mafatih al-jinan, Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi cited the recommended practices in the Mosque of Zayd: one should say two rak'as of prayers in the mosque and then open one's hands and recite the supplication recited by Zayd b. Sawhan in his night prayer.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from مسجد زید بن صوحان in Farsi WikiShia.