How to Say the Prayer
The prayer has two rak'as. In each rak'a, the person should first recite Sura al-Hamd (Qur'an 1) once, and then Sura al-Tawhid (Qur'an 112) seven times. When the prayer is finished, the person should recite the phrase "أستغفر الله و أتوب إلیه", astaghfir-u Allah-a wa atub-u ilayh, translation: "I seek forgiveness from God and I repent to Him" for seven times.
In his Mafatih al-jinan, Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi cited the prayer from al-'Allama al-Majlisi. Al-Majlisi has cited a hadith about the prayer in his Zad al-ma'ad without any reference. According to this hadith, the Prophet (s) said: if a person says this prayer and recites the istighfar 70 times before he or she changes his position, God will forgive him or her and their parents. And God will order some of His angels to write rewards for him or her, and an angel will plant a tree and build a castle for him or her in the Heaven.
- Qummī, Mafātīḥ al-jinān, section: aʿmāl-i mushtarikih-ie shabhāy-i qadr, p. 225.
- Majlisī, Zād al-maʿād, p. 125.
- Ibn Ṭāwūs, Iqbāl al-aʿmāl, vol. 1, p. 186; Majlisī, Zād al-maʿād, p. 125.
- Ibn Ṭāwūs, ʿAlī b. Mūsā. Iqbāl al-aʿmāl. Tehran: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, 1409 AH.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Biḥār al-anwār. Second edition. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, 1403 AH.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Zād al-maʿād. Beirut: Muʾassisat al-Aʿlamī li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1423 AH.
- Qummī, Abbās. Mafātīḥ al-jinān. Qom: Nashr-i Uswa, [n.d].