Tashih al-i'tiqadat (book)
|Original title||تَصحیحُ الاِعتقاداتِ الاِمامیّة|
|Published||Qom, 1387 SH/2008-9.|
|Publisher||Markaz i Farhangi Ja'fari|
Taṣḥīḥ al-i'tiqādāt al-Imāmīyya (Arabic: تَصحیحُ الاِعتقاداتِ الاِمامیّة) or Taṣḥīḥ al-i'tiqād ( تَصحیحُ الاعتقاد), known as Sharḥ i'tiqādāt al-Ṣadūq ( شَرح اعتقادات الصَدوق), is an Arabic book written by al-Shaykh al-Mufid (d. 413/1022). It is an exposition of al-Shaykh al-Saduq's book, al-'I'tiqadat. It provides arguments for or against al-Shaykh al-Saduq's beliefs in the book.
Muhammad b. Muhammad b. Nu'man, known as al-Shaykh al-Mufid, was one of the greatest Twelver Shi'a scholars in the second half of the fourth/tenth and early fifth/eleventh century. He was a student of al-Shaykh al-Saduq. His students include al-Sayyid al-Radi, al-Sayyid al-Murtada, and al-Shaykh al-Tusi.
Structure and Contents
The book is organized in the twenty eighth chapters. Here are some of the issues discussed in the book:
- Divine Attributes
- Difference between jabr (predestination) and tafwid (God's delegation of the power to act to human beings).
- Will and providence
- The meaning of power (istita')
- The meaning of bada'
- Souls and spirits
- Qada' wa qadar (divine will and decree)
- The meaning of Arsh (Divine Throne)
- Taqiyya (dissimulation)
- Monotheism of the the Prophet (s)'s ancestors
Al-Shaykh al-Mufid's Objections
Here are some of al-Shaykh al-Mufid's objections to al-Shaykh al-Saduq's views:
- With regard to the meanings of Quranic words
- With regard to chains of transmissions of hadiths
- With regard to appealing to hadiths
- With regard to the manner of making an argument.
Credibility and Significance of the Book
The book, Tashih al-i'tiqad, was especially credible. It has been cited in many different books since the time of its writing. According to Agha Buzurg Tihrani, the author of al-Dhari'a, the book was cited in Allama al-Majlisi's Bihar al-anwar and al-Shaykh Abd al-Nabi al-Kazimi's Takmila.
- A manuscript in the Library of the Iranian Majlis in Tehran. It was written in 1354/1935-6 with the handwriting of Hasan b. Muhammad Khiyabani Tabrizi. It was written from a manuscript of 1080/1669-70.
- A manuscript in the Library of Astan Quds Razavi in Mashhad. It was written in 1079/1668-9 with the handwriting of Mustafa Quli Husayni Qazwini.
- Another manuscript in the Library of Astan Quds Razavi. It was written in 1042/1632-3 with the handwriting of Shah Muhammad b. Zayn al-Abidin.
Translation and Publication
The book, Tashih al-i'tiqad, was translated into Persian by Sayyid Ali Mudarrisi Yazdi and was published in 1371/1951-2.
The Arabic version of the book was published as follows:
- By Manshurat Radi with the footnotes of Sayyid Hibat al-Din Shahristani in 1363SH/1984-5.
- By the Congress for the Memorial of al-Shaykh al-Mufid in 1413/1992-3. It was edited by Husayn Dargahi.
- By Ja'fari Cultural Center with the lengthy and detailed preface of Shaykh Muhammad Rida Ja'fari in 1388SH/2009-10.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from تصحیح الاعتقادات (کتاب) in Farsi WikiShia.