|Author||Hashim b. Sulayman al-Bahrani|
غايَةُ الْمَرام وَ حُجَّةُ الْخِصام فی تَعْيينِ الْإمام مِنْ طَریقِ الْخاصّ وَ الْْعام
|Publisher||Mu'assisat al-Tarikh al-'Arabi|
Ghāyat al-marām wa ḥujjat al-khiṣām fī taʿyīn al-imām min ṭarīq al-khāṣṣ wa l-ʿāmm (Arabic: غايَةُ الْمَرام وَ حُجَّةُ الْخِصام فی تَعْیینِ الْإمام مِنْ طَریقِ الْخاصّ وَ الْْعام) is a theological book in Arabic written by Hashim b. Sulayman al-Bahrani, a Shiite scholar of the eleventh/seventeenth century. The book is a collection of Shiite and Sunni hadiths concerning the virtues of Imam 'Ali (a) and other Shiite Imams (a).
Al-Sayyid Hashim al-Bahrani (b. ~1050/1640-1 - d.1107/1695-6 or 1109/1697-8) known as al-'Allama al-Bahrani is from Bahrain and is one of Shi'a jurists, hadith scholars and exegetes in eleventh/seventeenth century. He had the religious and social authority of the Bahrain people. The exegetic book of Al-Burhan fi tafsir al-Qur'an belongs to him. Al-Hurr al-'Amili, the writer of the Wasa'il al-Shi'a is one of his students. He passed away in 1107/1695-6 in Tubli and buried in Matini cemetery.
The book has an introduction, two destinations (maqsad), and an epilogue.
- The first destination includes sixty-seven sections concerning proofs for the imamate of Ali b. Abi Talib (a) and his offspring. This section was finished in 1100/1688-9.
- The second section includes 246 sections concerning the virtues and attributes of the Imams (a), which was finished in 1102/1690-1.
In each section, al-Bahrani cites hadiths from both sections (Shi'as and Sunnis) as evidence for his claims.
In the end, the author cites two essays by Abu 'Uthman b. 'Umar al-Jahiz stating the superiority of Imam 'Ali (a) over other caliphs.
Sources of the Book
Here are some books by Sunni authors cited by al-Bahrani:
- Sahih al-Bukhari
- Sahih Muslim
- al-Jam' bayn al-sahihayn
- al-Manaqib by Ahmad b. Hanbal
- al-Isti'ab by Qurtubi
- Musnad by Ibn Hanbal
- Ansab al-ashraf by al-Baladhuri
- al-Fusul al-muhimma by Ibn Sabbagh al-Maliki
- Commentary on Nahj al-balagha by Ibn Abi l-Hadid
- Fara'id al-simtayn by al-Juwayni
- Manaqib Amir al-Mu'minin by Muwaffaq b. Ahmad al-Khwarizmi
- Rabi' al-abrar by Mahmud b. Umar al-Khwarizmi
Manuscripts and Publication
- The manuscript of the Library of Astan Quds Razavi
- The manuscript of the Library of the Higher School of Shahid Mutahhari
- The book has been published in Beirut as edited by Sayyid 'Ali 'Ashur by Mu'assisat al-Tarikh al-'Arabi (Institute for Arabic History) in 1422/2001-2.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from غایة المرام و حجة الخصام (کتاب) in Farsi WikiShia.