'Ali b. al-Husayn b. Musa b. Babawayh al-Qummi
- This article is about 'Ali b. al-Husayn b. Musa b. Babawayh . For other people who named as Ibn Babawayh, see Ibn Babawayh (disambiguation).
The tomb of Ibn babawayh al-Qummi in Qom
|Full Name||'Ali b. Husayn b. Musa b. Babawayh al-Qummi|
|Well-Known Relatives||Al-Shaykh al-Saduq,Husayn b. 'Ali b. Babawayh|
|Works||Al-Imama wa al-tabsara min al-hayra,Nawadir kitab al-mantiq, ...|
Abū l-Ḥasan ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn b. Mūsā b. Bābawayh al-Qummī(Arabic: علي بن الحسين بن موسی بن بابويه القمي) (d. 329/941) was a Shi'a faqih, hadith scholar and religious authority for the people of Qom and suburb. He was the father of al-Shaykh al-Saduq.
Babawayh or Babuyih is the name of their ancestor which is an ancient Persian name. Ibn babawayh established a family of knowledgeable scholars, generations of whom were famous until the late 6th/12th century and Muntajab al-Din al-Razi, the last scholar of whom had the same kunya and his name was Abu l-Hasan 'Ali b. babawayh.
Major Events of Life
Letter of Imam Hasan al-'Askari (a)
Imam Hasan al-'Askari's (a) letter to Ibn babawayh shows his long life.
Meeting with Hallaj
Ibn Babawayh met Hallaj in Qom. According to reports, Hallaj introduced himself as the delegate of the promised Imam al-Mahdi (a) and was severely criticized by Ibn Babawayh and was expelled from Qom.
It is recorded that Ibn Babawayh had three travels to Iraq:
His first travel has seemingly been a short time after Muhammad b. 'Uthman (d. 304 or 305/916) passed away. His second travel was in 326 AH in which Talla'ukbari learned hadiths from him and his last travel to Baghdad has been in 328 AH when Abu l-Hasan 'Abbas b. 'Amr Kaludhani known as Ibn Abi Marwan received a permission from him for narrating hadiths.
Scholarly and Social Position
In addition to having a scholarly position, Ibn Babawayh was a rich businessman who had a business office.
He had such a great position in fiqh and hadith that when there was no hadith about a situation or there was a doubt in the text of available hadiths, Shi'a scholars referred to his rulings in al-Sharayi'; i.e they regarded his rulings as in full agreement with hadiths and believed that he must have referred to a reliable hadith for his ruling.
People who have narrated hadith from him include his two sons Abu Ja'far Muhammad al-Saduq and Abu 'Abd Allah Husayn as well as Muhammd b. Ahmad b. Dawud, Harun b. Musa al-Talla'ukbari and Salamat b. Muhammad.
Al-Najashi has mentioned Ibn Babawayh's works as follows,
- Al-Imama wa al-tabsara min al-hayra
- Nawadir kitab al-mantiq
- Al-Nisa' wa al-wildan
- Al-Sharayi' (which sent for his son)
- Manasik al-hajj
- Qurb al-isnad
Demise and Tomb
According to a report on his demise, Abu al-Hasan 'Ali b. Muhammad Samuri, who passed away in the month of Sha'ban of the same year Ibn Babawayh passed away, told his students of Ibn Babawayh's demise when he was in Baghdad and when 17 days later, the news of Ibn Babawayh's demise came to Baghdad, his report was confirmed.
- Nafisi. Muqadama masadiq al-ikhwan. vol. 1. p. 11-28.
- al-Shaykh al-Saduq. Kamal al-din. vol. 1. p. 376; Najashi. Rijal. vol. 1. p. 184.
- Mamaqani. Tanqih al-maqal. vol. 2. p. 283.
- Ibn Nadim. al-Fihrist. p. 237.
- al-Tusi. al-Ghayba. p. 247-248.
- al- Shaykh al-Saduq. Amali. p. 81-115.
- Najashi. Rijal. p. 184; al-hilli. Rijal. p. 241.
- al-Shahid al-awwal. Dhikri al-shi'a. p. 4-5.
- al-shaykh al-Saduq. Amali. p. 81-115.
- al-Shaykh al-Saduq. Kamal al-din. p. 101.
- al-Tusi. Tahdhib al-ahkam. vol. 1. p. 302; vol. 6. p. 38.
- al-Tusi. Tahdhib al-ahkam. vol. 1. p. 302; al-Tusi. Rijal. p. 482. al-Tusi. al-Fihrist. p. 157.
- Ibn nadim. al-Fihrist. p .277.
- Afandi. Riad al-ulama. vol. 4. p. 11.
- al-Shaykh al-Saduq. Kamal al-din. vol. 1. p. 276: al-Tusi. Al-Ghayba. vol. 1. p. 242.
- Najashi. Rijal. vol. 1. p. 185.
- Nafisi, Sa'id. Muqadama masadiq al-ikhwan-i ibn babawayh. Tehran. 1325 Sh.
- Shaykh al-Saduq, Muhammad b. 'Ali b. Babawayh al-. Kamal al-din wa tamam al-ni'ma. Tehran. 1884.
- Shaykh al-Saduq, Muhammad b. 'Ali b. Babawayh al-. Amali. Edit by Husayn a'lami. Beirut. 1980.
- Mamaqani, Abdullah. Tanqih al-maqal. Najaf. 1933.
- Najashi, Ahmad -al. Rijal. Mumbai. 1899.
- Ibn Nadim. Al-Fihrist. Beirut. 1978.
- Shaykh al-Tusi, Muhammad b. Hasan al-. Al-Ghayba. Najaf. 1965.
- Shaykh al-Tusi, Muhammad b. Hasan. Al- rijal. Najaf. 1960.
- Shaykh al-Tusi, Muhammad b. Hasan al-. Al-Fihrist. Mashhad. 1351 Sh.
- Shaykh al-Tusi, Muhammad b. Hasan al-. Tahdhib al-ahkam. Beirut. 1981.
- Shahid al-awwal, muhammad ibn maki -al. Dhikri al-shi'a fi ahkam al-shari'a. Edit by Mulla akbar kirmani. Tehran. 1271-1272 Ah.
- Afandi, 'Abd Allah b. 'isa al-. Riyad al-'ulama wa hiyad al-fudala. Qom: Matba’a al-khiyam.