Al-Miqdad b. 'Abd Allah al-Hilli
|Full Name||Al-Miqdad b. 'Abd Allah b. Muhammad al-Hilli al-Suyuri|
|Well-Known As||Al-Fadil al-Miqdad|
|Place of Birth||Hillah|
|Professors||Al-Shahid al-Awwal, Fakhr al-Muhaqqiqin|
|Students||Ibn Qattan, al-Hasan b. Rashid al-Hilli|
|Works||Irshad al-talibin ila nahj al-mustarshidin,Kanz al-'irfan fi fiqh al-Qur'an,Al-Nafi' yawm al-hashr fi sharh al-bab al-hadi 'Ashr,Al-Tanqih al-ra'i' fi sharh mukhtasar al-nafi',...|
Al-Miqdād b. ʿAbd Allāh b. Muḥammad al-Ḥillī al-Suyūrī (Arabic: المِقْداد بن عَبدالله بن محمد الحلّي السُیُوري) (d. 826/1423), known as al-Fāḍil al-Miqdād (Arabic: الفاضِل المِقداد) was a Shi'a jurist and theologian. He was born to a family from Banu Asad tribe in Suyur, a village of Hillah, Iraq. After passing scholarly levels and obtaining spiritual virtues, he moved to Najaf, and stayed there to the end of his life. Al-Shahid al-Awwal was one of his most famous students. Shaykh Muhammad b. Shuja' Qattan known as Ibn Qattan, and al-Hasan b. Rashid al-Hilli were among his students. His most prominent work in fiqh is Kanz al-'irfan fi fiqh al-Qur'an in which he examines jurisprudential verses of the Holy Qur'an. His other book is al-Lawami' al-ilahiyya fi l-mabahith al-kalamiyya which is in theology.
Abu 'Abd Allah al-Miqdad b. Muhammad b. Husayn b. Muhammad al-Suyuri al-Hilli al-Asadi al-Gharawi, known as al-Fadil al-Miqdad and al-Fadil al-Suyuri was one of the great personalities of Shi'a and expert in both intellectual and narrative sciences. He was a notable jurist and a worthful theologian. Biographers who wrote about him admired and praised him.
Although, he had a high status among Shi'a scholars, and his books were very common in various fields; not much have been reported from his life. What has been reported is that he was a resident of Suyur (a village of Hillah, Iraq); he was from Bani Asad tribe and lived in Iraq; when al-Shahid al-Awwal immigrated to Najaf, he attended his classes; he passed away in 826/1423 and was buried in Najaf.
Foundation of the School of Miqdad
The School of Miqdad, one of the oldest religious schools in the Islamic Seminary of Najaf, was founded by al-Fadil al-Miqdad in the last year of his life (826/1423). The school is located in the district of Mishraq, a well-known district in Najaf, across from the Mosque of Isagha. The school was running until the last years of the 10 th /16 th century, but after that it was ruining until Salim Khan Shirazi reconstructed it anew in 1250/1834, and thus, it came to be known as the Salimiyya School.
The last reconstruction of the school, as written on its entrance, occurred in 1340/1921 by Sayyid Abu l- Qasim Wakil. The school, known as Salimiyya School, is a small school with 12 chambers.
Teachers and Students
- Shaykh Shams al-Din Muhammad b. Shuja' Qattan al-Ansari al-Hilli, known as Ibn Qattan author of the book Ma'alim al-Din fi Fiqh Al Yasin
- Radi al-Din 'Abd al-Malik b. Shams al-Din Ishaq b. 'Abd al-Malik b. Muhammad b. Muhammad b. Fathan Hafiz al-Qummi
- Shaykh Zayn al-Din 'Ali b. Hasan b. 'Alala
- Shaykh Hasan b. Rashid al-Hilli
In some sources, Abu l-Hasan 'Ali b. Hillal al-Jaza'iri has been counted as one of al-Fadil al-Miqdad's students. However, in his introduction to al-Lawami' al-ilahiyya, Sayyid Muhammad 'Ali Qadi Tabataba'i rejects this claim mentioning various evidences and says al-Jaza'iri was a student of Ibn Fahd al-Hilli.
- Risala adab al-hajj
- Al-Ad'iya al-thalathun
- Al-Arba'un hadithan
- Irshad al-talibin ila nahj al-mustarshidin
- Sharh alfiyya (written by al-Shahid al-Awwal)
- Al-Anwar al-jaliyya fi sharh al-fusul al-nasiriyya (written by Nasir al-Din Tusi)
- Tajwid al-bara'a fi sharh tajrid al-balagha
- Al-Tanqih al-ra'i' fi sharh mukhtasar al-nafi'
- Al-Jami' al-fawa'id fi talkhis al-qawa'id
- Sharh si fasl (written by Nasir al-Din Tusi)
- Kanz al-'irfan fi fiqh al-Qur'an
- Al-Lawami' al-ilahiyya fi l-mabahith al-kalamiyya
- Al-Nafi' yawm al-hashr fi sharh al-bab al-hadi 'Ashr
- Nadd al-dawa'id al-fiqhiyya 'ala madhhab al-imamiyya
- Nahj al-shadad fi sharh wajib al-i'tiqad (written by al-'Allama al-Hilli)
- Sharh Mabadi al-usul (written by al-'Allama al-Hilli)
- Tafsir Mughmadat al-Quran
- Al-Fadil al-Miqdad, Kanz al-'irfan, preface, p.4-5
- Al-Fadil al-Miqdad, Kanz al-'irfan, preface, p.8-9
- Al-Fadil al-Miqdad, Kanz al-'irfan, preface, p.10-14
- Da'ira al-ma'arif tashayyu' . Intisharat Hikmat, 1390
- al-Fadil al-Miqdad, Kanz al-'irfan fi fiqh al-Qur'an, Tehran: Intisharat Murtadawi, 1369