Al-Indhār Verse (Arabic:آية الإنذار, lit. the warning verse) is verse 214 of Qur'an 26, which was revealed to the Prophet (s) three years after Bi'that/612-13. In this verse, the Prophet (s) is ordered to warn the nearest of his kins and invite them to Islam. In the same gathering, the Prophet (s) introduces Ali b. Abi Talib (a) as his vicegerent and the caliph after himself.
Text and Translation
|— Qur'an 26:214|
In this verse, the Prophet (s) is ordered to warn the nearest of his kins and invite them to Islam.
Inviting the Kins to Islam and Declaring 'Ali (a) as the Vicegerent
- O Children of 'Abd al-Muttalib! I do not think anyone from among the Arabs has [ever] brought his people something better than what I have brought for you. I have brought you [the happiness of] this world and the hereafter... I invite you to two words (i.e. phrases), and with these two words you will enter paradise and be saved from hell. These two words are saying that "there is no god but God" (لا اله الا الله), and testifying that I am the prophet of God.
Then he (s) said, "Which one of you will help me in this [mission] and become my vicegerent and deputy?" Everyone was silent. Then 'Ali (a) said, "O Messenger of God, I will!" The Prophet (s) then said, "This is my vicegerent and caliph among you. Listen to what he (a) says and follow his orders." After this speech, some of the Prophet's (s) kins told Abu Talib [sarcastically], "Obey your child, since he (a) has become superior to you!"
- Baḥrānī, al-Burhān, vol. 4, p. 186-189; Ibn Kathīr, Tafsīr al-Qurʾān, vol. 6, p. 151-153; Suyūṭī, al-Durr al-manthūr, vol. 5, p. 97; Ṭabrisī, Majmaʿ al-bayān, vol. 7, p. 322-323.
- Baḥrānī, Hāshim b. Sulaymān al-. Al-Burhān fī tafsīr al-Qurʾān. Tehran: Bunyād-i Biʿthat, 1416 AH.
- Ibn Kathīr, Ismāʿīl b. ʿUmar. Tafsīr al-Qurʾān. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1419 AH.
- Suyūṭī, ʿAbd al-Raḥmān b. Abī Bakr al-. Al-Durr al-manthūr. Qom: Kitābkhāna-yi Āyatollāh Marʿashī al-Najafī, 1404 AH.
- Ṭabrisī, Faḍl b. al-Ḥasan al-. Majmaʿ al-bayān. Beirut: Dār al-Maʿrifa, 1406 AH.