Tafdil Amir al-Mu'minin (a) (book)
|Tafdil Amir al-Mu'minin (a)|
|Original title||تَفضیل اَمیرالمُؤمِنین|
|Subject||Merits of Imam Ali (a)|
Tafḍīl Amīr al-Muʾminīn (Arabic: تَفضیل اَمیرالمُؤمِنین) was written by al-Shaykh al-Mufid (d. 413/1022). The book is about the virtues of Imam Ali (a) and proving his superiority over all humans except the Prophet (s). In this book, al-Shaykh al-Mufid refers to Shi'a and Sunni hadiths and proves the merits of Imam Ali (a) over all prophets (a) except the Prophet Muhammad (s). It has been translated into Persian.
- Main article: al-Shaykh al-Mufid
Muhammad b. Muhammad b. Nu'man (d. 413/1022) known as al-Shaykh al-Mufid was among Shia scholars of the end of 4th/6th century and beginning of 5th/11th century. He was among revivers of Islamic sciences and preachers of Shia culture and fiqh.
Other Names of the Book
This book has been mentioned with other names such as:
- Tafdil Ali (a) 'ala al-umma
- Tafdil Ali (a) 'ala sa'ir al-umma
- Tafdil Amir al-Mu'minin (a) 'ala sa'ir al-umma
- Tafdil Amir al-Mu'minin (a) 'ala sa'ir al-bashar
- Tafdil Amir al-Mu'minin (a) 'ala sa'ir al-ashab
- Tafdil Amir al-Mu'minin (a) 'ala jami' al-anbiya' ghayr Muhammad (s)
History of Writing
The issue of superiority of Imam Ali (a) has been long discussed among Muslim scholars of kalam. Except for Shi'a, other groups of Muslims believe in Imam's (a) superiority but they do not agree on its coverage. As Ibn Abi l-Hadid has mentioned in Sharh Nahj al-balagha, there are different opinions among Mu'tazilite groups.
Many books have been written about this issue by Islamic scholars such as:
- Al-Tafdil written by Abu Talib 'Ubayd Allah b. Ahmad b. Ya'qub b. Nasr Anbari
- Al-Tafdil written by Faris b. Hatam b. Mahuwiya Qazwini
- Tafdil Amir al-Mu'minin written by Abu l-Fath Karajaki
- Tafdil Ali (a) 'ala uli l-'azm min al-rusul written by 'Allama Sayyid Hashim Bahrani
- Tafdil Amir al-Mu'minin (a) 'ala man 'ada Khatam al-Nabiyyin (s) written by al-'Allama al-Majlisi.
Value and Position of the Book
In this book, the author has discussed the virtues of Imam Ali (a) using simple words and has tried to use different ways of reasoning.
In this book, al-Shaykh al-Mufid has proved the superiority of Imam Ali (a) over all human beings except the Prophet (s) in eight chapters.
Titles in the Content
In this book, al-Shaykh al-Mufid discusses the following topics:
- Hadith al-Tayr al-Mashwiy
- Argument about the position of Imam Ali (a) in the hereafter over his position in this world
- Argument from Shi'a hadiths
- Argument from Sunni hadiths
- Argument from his jihad for his position
- Views of different Shi'a groups about the position of Imam Ali (a)
- Argument from the Verse of Mubahala for the superiority of Imam Ali (a) over all human beings except the Prophet (s)
- Argument from the hadith of the Prophet (s) saying, "O Ali! Befriending you is befriending me and enmity with you is enmity with me and war with you is war with me."
- The material for this article is mainly taken from (تفضیل امیرالمؤمنین (کتاب in Farsi WikiShia.