Tadhkirat al-khawas min al-umma fi dhikr khasa'is al-A'imma (book)
|Tadhkirat al-khawas min al-umma fi dhikr khasa'is al-A'imma|
|Author||Sibt Ibn al-Jawzi|
|Subject||excellence of Ahl al-Bayt (a)|
|Publisher||Ahl al-Bayt (a) World Assembly|
Tadhkirat al-khawāṣ min al-umma fī dhikr khaṣāʾiṣ al-Aʾimma (Arabic: تَذکِرَةُ الخَواصّ مِنَ الأمّة فی ذِکرِ خَصائص الأئمة) is a book written by Yusuf b. Qazawughli, known as Sibt Ibn al-Jawzi (d. 654/1256-57), a well-known Sunni scholar of the 7th/13th century. The book is concerned with the life of Imam 'Ali b. Abi Talib (a) and his progeny in 12 parts.
Titles of the Book
The book is known with the following titles:
- Tadhkirat al-khawas min al-umma bi dhir khasa'is al-A'imma
- Tadhkirat al-khawas min al-umma fi dhikr khasa'is al-A'imma
- Tadhkirat khawas al-umma fi ma'rifat al-A'imma
- Manaqib 'Ali (a)
Approch to Shiism
The book starts with an introduction in which the author praises God and sends regards to the Holy Prophet (s) and his pure household and progeny, especially Amir al-Mu'minin (a). He then talks about the virtues and life histories of Imams (a) from the first Imam, Imam 'Ali (a), through Imam al-Mahdi (a). The author devoted the bulk of the book to the biography of Imam Ali (a), Imam al-Hasan (a) and Imam al-Husayn (a). The biographies of the other Imams (a) are reported very briefly.
The book has 12 parts:
2- Virtues of Imam 'Ali (a) and his honors, hadiths in this regard and some of his remarks. He points to the Event of Ghadir, Hadith al-Tayr, Qadib al-Ahmar, Hadith Madinat al-'Ilm, Radd al-Shams and others.
3- On Imam 'Ali's (a) children.
4- Imam 'Ali's (a) caliphate. The author points to the story of Talha and Zubayr, the story of Khawarij, and the Battle of Siffin. 'Abd Allah b. Ahmad b. Hanbal quoted his father as saying that: "I swear to God that caliphate was not an honor for 'Ali (a); rather 'Ali was an honor for the caliphate".
6- A selection of Imam 'Ali's (a) remarks such as al-Manbariyya Sermon, al-Balighiyya Sermon, al-Shiqshiqiyya Sermon, a sermon regarding the virtues of the Holy Prophet (s), as well as his wills to Kumayl b. Ziyad and his sons, his debates and other speeches.
8- Imam al-Hasan's (a) biography, his period and martyrdom.
9- Imam al-Husayn's (a) biography and a brief account of his martyrdom. At the end of this part, there is a chapter on Yazid b. Mu'awiya, the permissibility of cursing him, al-Mukhtar's Uprising, and God's revenge of those who killed Imam al-Husayn (a).
10- Muhammad b. Hanafiyya, his remarks and his children.
12- A biography of each Imam (a) and their children.
13- At the end of the book, the author reports some stories about the children of Imams (a) and their moral characters.
- A manuscript in the Sulaymaniyya Library of Istanbul
- A manuscript in the Khudabakhsh Library, in India
- A manuscript in the Library of Astan-i Quds Razavi
- A manuscript in the Central Library of Tehran University
- A manuscript in Dar al-Khutub al-Zahiriyya in Damascus
- A manuscript in the Buhar Library in Kolkata.
- It was published in Najaf in 1369/1949-50 by Matba'a 'Ilmiyya with a preface by 'Abd al-Mawla Turayhi.
- It was also published in Najaf in 1369/1949-50 by Matba'a Haydariyya with a preface by Sayyid Muhammad Sadiq Bahr al-'Ulum.
- It was published in Iran, Qom, by Manshurat al-Sharif al-Radi in 1418-1997-98, and by the Ahl al-Bayt (a) World Assembly in 1426/2005-6.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from (تذکرة الخواص من الامة فی ذکر خصائص الائمة (کتاب in Farsi WikiShia.