Muhammad b. 'Umar al-Kashshi
|Religious Affiliation||Twelver Shi'a|
Abū ʿAmr Muḥammad b. ʿUmar b. ʿAbd al-ʿAzīz al-Kashshī (Arabic: ابوعمرو محمد بن عمر بن عبدالعزیز الکَشّي, d. circa 340/951-2), known as al-Kashshi (Arabic: الکشي), was a Shi'a scholar, a reliable transmitter of hadiths, and a scholar of 'ilm al-rijal.
Abu 'Amr Muhammad b. 'Umar b. 'Abd al-Aziz is known as al-Kashshi. He is attributed to Kashsh, today known as Shahrisabz. It is in Qashqadaryo Region of Uzbekistan.
Al-Kashshi lived in the first half of the 4th/10th century and was contemporary with al-Kulayni. He had almost the same teachers and students as al-Kulayni. His death is said to be in about 340/951-2.
Significance in the Transmission of Hadiths
Shi'a sources of rijal take al-Kashshi to be a reliable person who knew about hadiths and rijal. However, it is said that he also transmitted hadiths from unreliable transmitters.
Shiite scholars of rijal have characterized al-Kashshi with respect to his denomination as "hasan al-i'tiqad" (with good beliefs) and "mustaqim al-madhhab" (on the straight denomination) which imply that he was a Shi'a. According to al-Najashi, al-Kashshi studied in the house of al-'Ayyashi where Shi'as met.
Al-'Ayyashi is the only person who is mentioned as al-Kashshi's teacher. However, some people from whom al-Kashshi transmitted hadiths can count as his teachers.
- Adam b. Muhammad al-Qalanasi al-Balkhi
- Ibrahim b. 'Ali al-Kufi
- Ibrahim b. Muhammad b. al-'Abbas
- Ibrahim b. Mukhtar b. Muhammad
- Ibrahim al-Warraq al-Samarqandi
- Muhammad b. Qulawayh al-Qummi
- Abu Ishaq Ibrahim b. Nasir al-Kashshi
- Muhammad b. Mas'ud al-'Ayyashi al-Samarqandi
Al-Kashshi is the author of Ma'rifat al-naqilin 'an al-a'immat al-sadiqin, which provides biographies of both Shiite and non-Shiite transmitters of hadiths. The book was summarized by al-Shaykh al-Tusi under Ikhtiyar ma'rifat al-rijal, known as Rijal al-Kashshi. What is available today is the summary, rather than the original work.
- ↑ Dihkhudā, Lughatnāmah, under the word "کشّ".
- ↑ Ṭūsī, Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl, p. 4.
- ↑ Ḥusaynī Dashtī, Maʿārif wa maʿārīf, vol. 8, p. 516.
- ↑ Ṭūsī, al-Fihrist, p. 141; Ṭūsī, Rijāl, p. 497; Ḥillī, Khulāṣat al-aqwāl, p. 146; Najāshī, Rijāl, p. 372 quoted from Abū ʿAlī Ḥāʾirī, Muntahī l-maqāl, vol. 6, p. 144.
- ↑ Ṭūsī, al-Fihrist, p. 141; Ṭūsī, Rijāl, p. 497; Ḥillī, Khulāṣat al-aqwāl, p. 146 quoted from Abū ʿAlī Ḥāʾirī, Muntahī l-maqāl, vol. 6, p. 144.
- ↑ Najāshī, Rijāl, p. 372 quoted from Abū ʿAlī Ḥāʾirī, Muntahī l-maqāl, vol. 6, p. 144.
- ↑ Najāshī, Rijāl, p. 372; Ṭūsī, Rijāl, p. 497; Ḥillī, Khulāṣat al-aqwāl, p. 146 quoted from Abū ʿAlī Ḥāʾirī, Muntahī l-maqāl, vol. 6, p. 144.
- ↑ Amīn, Aʿyān al-Shīʿa, vol. 10, p. 27-28.
- Abū ʿAlī Ḥāʾirī, Muḥammad b. Ismāʿīl. Muntahī l-maqāl fī aḥwāl al-rijāl. Qom: Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt, 1416 AH.
- Amīn, al-Sayyid Muḥsin al-. Aʿyān al-Shīʿa. Edited by Ḥasan al-Amīn. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1406 AH.
- Dihkhudā, Alī Akbar. Lughatnāmah.
- Ḥusaynī Dashtī, Sayyid Muṣṭafā. Maʿārif wa maʿārīf. Tehran: Muʾassisah Farhangī-yi Ārāyah, 1379 Sh.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl. Mashhad: Dānishgāh-i Mashhad, 1348 Sh.