Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Khalid al-Barqi
- This article is about the author of al-Mahasin. For other people named al-Barqi, see Al-Barqi (disambiguation).
|Full Name||Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Khalid b. 'Abd al-Rahman al-Barqi|
|Death||274/887-88 or 280/893-894|
|Students||'Ali b. Ibrahim al-Qummi • Ahmad b. Idris • 'Abd Allah b. Ja'far al-Himyari, ...|
|Works||Al-Mahasin , Rijal al-Barqi, Al-Tarajim wa al-ta'atuf ,...|
Aḥmad b. Muḥammad b. Khālid b. ʿAbd al-Raḥmān al-Barqī (Arabic: أحمد بن محمد بن خالد بن عبدالرحمن البرقي, b. 200/815-16 - d. 274/887-88 or 280/893-94) was a renowned Twelver Shi'a hadith scholar (muhaddith) and historian of 3rd/9th century. Both Shi'a and Sunni scholars have relied on his hadiths. His most important work is al-Mahasin.
Scholars of rijal regard al-Barqi as one of the disciples of Imam al-Jawad (a) and Imam al-Hadi (a), but there is no mention of these two Imams (a) in al-Barqi's narrations. It is just mentioned in a hadith that in a travel to Samarra, a courier came from "the Man" and according to evidences, "the man" was Imam al-hadi (a).
Al-Najashi states that al-Barqi passed away in 274/887-88 but 'Ali b. Muhammad Majilawayh, his grandson and his student says that he passed away in 280/893-894. In his funeral Ahmad b. Muhammad b.'Isa al-Ash'ari who banished him from Qom, participated barefoot as a sign of regret for what he has done.
Position in Narrating Hadith
All the major shi'a scholars like al-Najashi, al-Shaykh al-Tusi and al-'Allama al-Hilli have praised al-Barqi and considered him as a reliable narrator. Al-Barqi also has a special position among the Sunnis.
Narrating from Unreliable Narrators and Being Banished from Qom
The fact that al-Barqi used to narrate from unreliable narrators and take mursal hadiths as reliable hadiths caused that Ahmad b. Muhammad b. 'Isa al-Ash'ari, the head of hadith scholars of Qom, banish al-Barqi from Qom but after a while al-Ash'ari returned al-Barqi to Qom and apologized him. Al-Ash'ri participated in al-Barqi's funeral bareheaded (without 'imama (turban) ) and barefoot to show his sorrow and compensate his previous action.
A Response to the Criticism of Narrating from Unreliable Narrators
Al-Wahid al-Bihbahani writes: al-Barqi is certainly reliable and what the critics say is not proved and even if he trusted in unreliable narrators, we can just say that his approach in narrating hadith is not right. 
- Main article: List of Students of Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Khalid al-Barqi
He has several students, the most important of which are 'Abd Allah b. ja'far al-Himyari, the author of the well-known book, Qurb al-isnad; 'Ali b. Ibrahim al-Qummi, a companion of Imam al-Hadi (a), hadith scholar, jurist, and the author of Tafsir al-Qummi; and Sa'd b. 'Abd Allah al-Ash'ari al-Qummi, the author of Basa'ir al-darajat
His other students are as following:
- Husayn b. Sa'id al-Ahwazi
- Muhammad b. al-Hasan al-Saffar
- Bu Ali al-Ash'ari
- Ahmad b.Idris
- Ahmad b. Abd Allah
- Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Abd Allah
- Hasan b. Matil Daqaq
- Ali b. Husayn Sa'd Abadi
- Ali b. Muhammad Bandar
- Ali b. Muhammad b. Abd Allah Qummi
- Muhammad b. Abi al-Qasim
- Muhammad b. Ahmad b. Yahya
- Muhammad b. Isa
- Muhammad b. Yahya
- 'Ali b. Muhammad Majilawayh
- Mu'alla b. Muhammad.
- Kitab al-buldan
- Ikhtilaf al-hadith
- Akhbar al-umam
- Al-Tarajim wa l-ta'atuf
- Adab al-nafs
- Adab al-mu'ashira
- Kitab al-makasib
- Kitab al-rifahiyya
- Kitab al-rijal
- Najāshī, Rijāl, p. 335.
- Ṭūsī, Rijāl Ṭūsī, vol. 1, p. 383; Ṭūsī, al-Fihrist, vol. 1, p. 116.
- Kashshī, Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl, vol. 2, p. 831.
- Najāshī, Rijāl, p. 70.
- Najāshī, Rijāl, p. 76; Ṭūsī, al-Fihrist, p. 62; Ḥillī, Khulāṣat al-aqwāl, p. 63.
- Ṭūsī, al-Fihrist, p. 62; Ḥillī, Khulāṣat al-aqwāl, p. 63; ʿAllāma al-Ḥillī, Rijāl, p. 14; Farshchīyān, Pīshgāmān-i tashayyuʿ, p. 104.
- Bihbahānī,al-Fawāʾid al-rijālīyya, p. 43.
- Ibn al-Ghaḍāʾirī, al-Rijāl, p. 39.
- Āqāyī, Muqāayisa taḥlīlī-yi si chāp-i kitāb-i al-Rijāl-i Barqī.
- Khoeī, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 2, p. 31,32,226,227,266,267.
- Khoeī, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 2, p. 32.
- Ziriklī, Al-Aʿlām, vol. 1, p. 205; Kaḥḥālah, Muʿjam al-muʾalifīn, vol. 2, p. 98.
- Bihbahānī, Waḥīd. Al-Fawāʾid al-rijālīyya. Ahl al-Bayat Software. [n.d].
- Farshchīyān, Riḍā. Pīshgāmān-i tashayyuʿ. Qom: Intishārāt-i Zāʾir, 1384 Sh.
- Ḥillī, al-Ḥasan b. Yūsuf al-. Khulāṣat al-aqwāl. Nashr al-Fiqāha, 1417 AH. [n.p].
- Ḥillī, al-Ḥasan b. Yūsuf al-. Rijāl ʿallāma. Qom: Maktabat al-Raḍī, 1402 AH.
- Ḥamawī, Yāqūt b. ʿAbd Allāh al-. Muʿjam al-buldān. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, 1399 AH.
- Ibn al-Ghaḍāʾirī, Aḥmad b. Ḥusayn. Al-Rijāl. Qom: Dār al-Ḥadīth, 1422/2002
- Khoeī, Sayyid Abū l-Qāsim al-. Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth. Najaf: 1413 AH. [n.p].
- Kaḥḥālah, ʿUmar Riḍā. Muʿjam al-muʾalifīn. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, [n.d].
- Najāshī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī al-. Fihrist asmāʾ muṣannifi l-Shiʿa. Qom: Jāmiʿat al-Mudarrisīn, 1416 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Al-Fihrist. Nashr al-Fiqāha, 1417 AH. [n.p].
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl, known as Rijāl Kashshī. Qom: Āl-i al-Bayt, 1404 AH.
- Ziriklī, Khayr al-Dīn al-. Al-Aʿlām. Beirut: Dār al-ʿIlm, 1980.