Ibrahim b. Mahziyar
|Ibrahim b. Mahziyar|
|Companion of||Imam al-Jawad (a), Imam al-Hadi (a), and Imam al-'Askari (a)|
|Religious Affiliation||Shi'a Islam|
|Wellknown Relatives||'Ali b. Mahziyar (brohter), 'Ali b. Ibrahim b. Mahziyar, Muhammad b. Ibrahim b. Mahziyar|
|Professors||'Ali b. Mahziyar, Salih b. Sindi, Faddala b. Ayyub, Ibn Abi 'Umayr|
Abū Isḥāq Ibrāhīm b. Mahzīyār al-Ahwāzī (Arabic: ابواسحاق ابراهیم بن مهزیار الاهوازی) is one of the Shi'a hadith narrators in the third/ninth centuries. He was the famous companion of Imam al-Jawad (a), Imam al-Hadi (a), and Imam al-'Askari (a). The scholars of 'ilm al-rijal consider him a reliable hadith transmitter, albeit they have different ideas about the level of his reliability in hadith transmission.
There is not enough information about his life. We can only get some information about him from the sources of 'ilm al-rijal and hadith. His ancestors lived in Dawraq in Khuzestan. His father was a Christian who converted to Islam. His brother, 'Ali b. Mahziyar, is also one of the reliable Shi'a hadith transmitters.
Companion of Three Imams
He was the companion of Imam al-Jawad (a), Imam al-Hadi (a), Imam Hasan al-Askari (a), and according to some reports, Imam al-Mahdi (a). So it is estimated that he lived between 195/787 - 265/811. Ibn Babawayh has narrated a detailed hadith from Ibrahim which indicates that Ibrahim visited Imam al-Mahdi (a). However, some have doubted the authenticity of this hadith.
Al-Kashshi has narrated a hadith from Ibrahim's son, Muhammad, that shows that he had communication with Imam al-Mahdi's (a) agents. There is another hadith suggesting that he was his brother's legatee; and some rijal scholars consider this as a sign of his trustworthiness. There is another hadith suggesting that he had been one of Imam al-'Askari's (s) agents, and also some of rijal scholars, such as Mamaqani, considered this a sign of his trustworthiness and authenticity.
Some believe, because Ibn Qulawayh has mentioned a hadith through Ibrahim in Kamil al-ziyarat, and because Ibn Qulawayh has said at the beginning of his book that he has only narrated from trustworthy narrators, Ibrahim can be considered trustworthy; however, al-'Allama al-Hilli believes that al-Kashshi's hadith is weak and has only praised him.
Apart from the hadiths that Ibrahim directly narrated from his contemporary Imams (a), he narrated other hadiths through:
Al-Bisharat is the only book which has been attributed to him. It is probable that this book is his brother's book, which Ibrahim narrated from and al-Najashi recorded it with the narrator's name as the author.
- Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 253.
- Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 253.
- Ṭūsī, Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 374.
- Ṭūsī, Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 383.
- Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn, p. 445-453.
- Khoei, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 1, p. 307.
- Kashshī, Rijāl al-Kashshī, p. 531-532.
- Kulaynī, Furūʿ al-Kāfī, vol. 4, p. 310.
- Nūrī, Mustadrak al-Wasāʾil, vol. 3, p. 550.
- Kulaynī, al-Kāfī, vol. 1, p. 518.
- Māmaqānī, Tanqīḥ al-maqāl, vol. 1, p. 37.
- Hillī, Khulāsat al-aqwāl, vol. 1, p. 51.
- Najāshī, Rijāl, vol. 2, p. 74-75.
- Ṭūsī, Fihrist, p. 265-266.
- ʿĀmilī, Sayyid Jawād. Miftāḥ al-kirāma fī sharḥ qawā'id al-ʿallāma. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Khāliṣī. Qom: Daftar-i Intishārāt-i Islāmī, 1419 AH.
- Hillī, Ḥasan b. Yūsuf al-. Khulāsat al-aqwāl fī maʿrifat al-rijāl. Edited by Jawād al-Qayyūmī. [n.p]: Nashr al-Fiqāha, 1417 AH.
- Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Ḥasan b. 'Alī. Kitāb al-rijāl. Tehran: Dānishgāh-i Tehrān, 1342 Sh.
- Ibn Qūlawayh, Jaʿfar b. Muḥammad. Kāmil al-zīyārāt. Edited by ʿAbd al-Ḥusayn Amīnī. Najaf: Dār al-Murtaḍawīyya, 1356 Sh.
- Īrawānī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Durūs tamhīdīyya fī al-qawāʿid al-rijālīyya. Qom: Intishārāt-i Madyan, 1431 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿAbd al-Nabī. Hāwi l-aqwāl fī maʿrifat al-rijāl. Qom: Muʾassisa al-Hidāya li-Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth, 1418 AH.
- Khoei, Sayyid Abū l-Qāsim al-. Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth. Qom: Markaz-i Nashr-i Āthār al-Shʿīa, 1410 AH.
- Kashshī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Rijāl al-Kashshī. Edited by Muṣṭafawī, Ḥasan. Mashhad: Intishārat-i Dānishgāh-i Mashhad, 1409 AH.
- Kulaynī, Muḥammad b. Yaʿqūb al-. Al-Kāfī. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī & Muḥammad Ākhūndī. Tehran: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, 1407 AH.
- Māmaqānī, Mīrzā ʿAbd Allāh al-. Tanqīḥ al-maqāl fī aḥwāl al-rijāl. Edited by Muḥyi al-Dīn and Muḥammad Riḍā Māmaqānī. Qom: Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt li-Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth, 1431 AH.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Al-Wajīza fī al-rijāl. Edited by Muḥammad Kāzim Raḥmān Sitāyish. Tehran: Wizārat-i Farhang wa Irshād-i Islāmī, [n.d].
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿalā l-ʿibād. Edited by Muḥammad Bāqir Bihbūdī. Tehran: [n.p], 1351 Sh.
- Najāshī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī al-. Rijāl al-Najāshī. Edited by Sayyid Mūsā Shubayrī Zanjānī . Qom: Jamāʿat al-Mudarrisīn fī al-Ḥawza al-ʿIlmīya bi Qom; Muʾassisa al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1365 Sh.
- Najafī, Muḥammad al-Ḥasan al-. Jawāhir al-kalām fī sharḥ sharāʾiʿ al-Islām. Edited by ʿAbbās Qūchānī & ʿAlī Ākhūndī. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, 1404 AH.
- Nūrī, Mīrzā Ḥusayn al-. Mustadrak al-Wasāʾil. Qom: Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt, 1408 AH.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Kamāl al-dīn wa itmām al-niʿma. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Tehran: Islāmīyya, 1395 AH.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Man lā yaḥḍuruh al-faqīh. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Qom: Daftar-i Intishārāt-i Islāmī, 1413 AH.
- Ṭabrisī, Faḍl b. al-Ḥasan al-. Iʿlām al-warā bi-aʿlām al-hudā. Tehran, [No Name], 1390 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Rijāl al-Ṭūsī. Edited by Jawād al-Qayyūmī. Qom: Jamāʿat al-Mudarrisīn fī al-Ḥawza al-ʿIlmīya bi Qom; Muʾassisa al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1373 Sh.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Fihrist kutub al-Shīʿa wa uṣūlihim wa asmāʾ al-muṣannifīn wa aṣḥāb al-uṣūl. Edited by ʿAbd al-ʿAzīz Ṭabaṭabaʾī. Qom: Maktabat al-Muḥaqiq Ṭabāṭabāyī, 1420 AH.