Rayyan b. Shabib
Rayyān b. Shabīb was among hadith narrators relied upon by Shi'a and among the companions of Imam al-Rida (a) and Imam al-Jawad (a). According to al-Najashi, he was the uncle of al-Mu'tasim, the Abbasid caliph whose sister Marida was a bondswoman of Harun and the mother of al-Mu'tasim. However, some sources such as al-Mas'udi's Ithbat al-wasiyya mentioned him an uncle of al-Ma'mun.
Ibn Shabib lived in Qom, and hadith scholars in that city have quoted hadiths from him. He narrated some hadiths from Imam al-Rida (a) and compiled the issues of Sabah b. Nasr al-Hindi from Imam al-Rida (a).
The most famous narration of Rayyan is his famous narration from Imam al-Rida (a) about the month of Muharram, the Event of 'Ashura and the merits and rewards for crying and mourning for Imam al-Husayn (a). In this narration, it is mentioned that "O Rayyan! If you cry, then cry over Husayn (a)."
- Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 165; Ṣadūq, ʿUyūn akhbār al-Riḍā, vol. 2, p. 238-239.
- Masʿūdī, Ithbāt al-waṣiyya, p. 223.
- Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 165; Khoeī, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 9, p. 216.
- Kulaynī, al-Kāfī, part 7, Kitab al-Wasiyya 1, last chapter, hadith 2; Ṣadūq, al-Amālī, hadith 5; Khoeī, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 9, p. 217.
- Kulaynī, al-Kāfī, vol. 1, chapter "al-Hujja 4", chapter "Ma'rifat al-Imam", hadith 1.
- Ṣadūq, al-Amālī, hadith 5, p. 206; Ṣadūq, ʿUyūn akhbār al-Riḍā, p. 165.
- Kashshī, Rijāl al-Kashshī, p. 609.
- Khoeī, Sayyid Abū l-Qāsim al-. Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth wa tafṣīl ṭabaqāt al-ruwāt. Qom: Markaz-i Nashr-i al-Thiqāfat al-Islāmiya, 1372 Sh.
- Kashshī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Rijāl al-Kashshī. Mashhad: Dānishgāh-i Mashhad, 1348 Sh.
- Masʿūdī, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn al-. Ithbāt al-waṣiyya. Qom: Muʾassisat Anṣārīyān, 1348 Sh.
- Najāshī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī al-. Rijāl al-Najāshī. Qom: Muʾassisa al-Nashr-i Islāmī al-Tābiʿat li-Jāmiʿat al-Mudarrisīn bi-Qom, 1365 Sh.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Al-Amālī. Translated to Farsi by Karīm Fayḍī. Qom: Intishārāt-i Waḥdatbakhsh, 1384 Sh.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. ʿUyūn akhbār al-Riḍā. Edited by Mahdī Lājiwardī. Tehran: Nashr-i Jahān, [n.d].