Al-Hasan b. Sa'id al-Ahwazi
|Al-Hasan b. Sa'id al-Ahwazi|
|Companion of||Imam al-Rida (a)|
|Wellknown Relatives||al-Husayn b. Sa'id al-Ahwazi (brother)|
|Place of Birth||Kufa|
|Place(s) of Residence||Kufa, Ahvaz|
Abū Muḥammad al-Ḥasan b. Saʿīd (Arabic: أبومُحَمَّد الحَسَن بن سَعید) (alive in 220/835) was a companion of Imam al-Rida (a) and the brother of al-Husayn b. Sa'id al-Ahwazi. He was born in Kufa, but he later immigrated to Ahvaz and lived there. He was alive until 220/835. He is considered as a reliable transmitter of hadiths by scholars of rijal.
Hasan b. Sa'id, known as al-Kufi and al-Ahwazi was born in Kufa. The year of his birth is not known. His father, Sa'id, was known as "Dandan" and is considered by Ibn Dawud al-Hilli as an unknown transmitter of hadiths. His two maternal uncles, Ali b. Yahya and Ja'far b. Yahya, were, respectively, companions of Imam al-Rida (a) and Imam al-Jawad (a) and are considered as reliable transmitters of hadiths in sources of rijal.
After living in Kufa for a while, Hasan b. Sa'id migrated to Ahvaz together with his brother, Husayn and his nephew, Ahmad b. al-Husayn. Husayn and his son, Ahmad, went to Qom after a while, but there is no evidence that Hasan also joined them in the migration from Ahvaz to Qom. It seems that he stayed in Ahvaz and died there. The year of his death is not known, but he was alive until 220/835.
Place in Hadith and Scholarship
Hasan b. Sa'id is in the sixth generation of the transmitters of hadiths. He appears in the chains of the transmission of eighty six hadiths. He is considered as a reliable transmitter of hadiths by scholars of rijal.
It is well-known that Hasan b. Sa'id took people such as Ishaq b. Ibrahim al-Hudayni, Abd Allah b. Muhammad al-Hudayni and Ali b. Mahziyar to Imam al-Rida (a) which led to their conversion to Shiism. The story is cited in different sources with slight differences.
Hasan b. Sa'id transmitted hadiths from people such as Safwan b. Yahya (d. 210/825), Ibrahim b. Muhammad al-Khazzar, Zur'a b. Muhammad al-Hadrami, and Abd Allah b. al-Mughira (alive until 183/799), and some people, such as Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Isa al-Ash'ari (d. 280/893), Bakr b. Salih, and his brother, Husayn, transmitted hadiths from him.
It is well-known that Husayn b. Sa'id and his brother, Hasan, wrote thirty books. However, al-Shaykh al-Tusi said in his al-Fihrist that Husayn wrote thirty books, but when listing the books, he added the book, al-Bisharat, which is not mentioned in other sources, and thus, the books he mentioned amount to thirty one. Some people have attributed fifty books to Hasan.
- Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 374; Ḥillī, Khulāṣat al-aqwāl fī maʿrifat al-rijāl, p. 99.
- Kashshī, Rijāl al-Kashshī, p. 551; Ḥillī, Khulāṣat al-aqwāl fī maʿrifat al-rijāl, p. 99.
- Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Kitāb al-rijāl, p. 553.
- Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 360, 374; Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 58.
- Subḥānī, Mawsūʿat ṭabaqāt al-fuqahāʾ, vol. 3. p. 186.
- Khoeī, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 5, p. 246.
- Barqī, Kitāb al-Rijāl, p. 56; Kashshī, Rijāl al-Kashshī, p. 551-552; Ṭūsī, al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 354.
- Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Kitāb al-rijāl, p. 108; Khoeī, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 4, p. 345, 348.
- Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 58; Shūshtarī, Qāmūs al-rijāl, vol. 3, p. 459.
- Ṭūsī, Fihrist kutub al-Shīʿa, p. 149-150.
- Kashshī, Rijāl al-Kashshī, p. 551.
- Ahwāzī, Ḥusayn b. Saʿīd. Al-Zuhd. Edited by Ghulām Riḍā ʿIrfānīyān. Qom: 1399 AH.
- Ahwāzī, Ḥusayn b. Saʿīd. Kitāb al-muʾmin. Edited by Murtaḍā Ḥusayn Ṣadr al-Afāḍil. Karachi: 1412 AH.
- Barqī, Aḥmad b. Muḥammad. Kitāb al-Rijāl. Edited by Jalāl al-Dīn Muḥaddith Armawī. Tehran: 1342 Sh.
- Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Ḥasan b. 'Alī. Kitāb al-rijāl. Edited by Jalāl al-Dīn Muḥaddith Armawī. Tehran: 1342 Sh.
- Ibn Shahrāshūb, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī. Maʿālim al-ʿulamā. Najaf: 1380 AH-1960.
- Ibn Ghaḍāʾirī, Aḥmad b. Ḥusayn. Rijāl Ibn Ghaḍāʾirī. Edited by Muḥammad Riḍā Ḥusaynī Jalālī. Qom: 1422 AH.
- Ibn al-Nadīm, Muḥammad b. Isḥāq. Al-Fihrist. Edited by Muḥammad Riḍā Tajaddud. Tehran: 1350 Sh.
- Ḥillī, Jaʿfar b. al-Ḥasan al-. Al-Muʿtabar fī sharḥ al-mūkhtaṣar. volume 1. Qom: 1364 Sh.
- Ḥillī, al-Ḥasan b. Yūsuf al-. Khulāṣat al-aqwāl fī maʿrifat al-rijāl. Edited by Jawād Qayyūmī Iṣfahānī. Qom: 1417 AH.
- Kashshī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl known as Rijāl al-Kashshī. Surmised by Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-Ṭūsī. Edited by Ḥasan Muṣṭafawī. Mashhad: 1348 Sh.
- Mamaqānī, ʿAbd Allāh b. Ḥasan. Tanqīḥ al-maqāl fī ʿilm al-rijāl. Edited by Muḥyi al-Dīn al-Mamaqānī. Qom: 1423 AH.
- Najāshī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī al-. Fihrist asmāʾ muṣannifī al-Shīʿa al-mushtahir bi rijāl al-Najāshī. Edited by Mūsā Shubayrī Zanjānī. Qom: 1407 AH.
- Shūshtarī, Muḥammad Taqī. Qāmūs al-rijāl. Qom: 1410-1424 AH.
- Shubayrī Zanjānī, Muḥammad Jawād. Nawādir Aḥmad b. Muḥammad b. Isā yā kitāb Ḥusayn b. Saʿīd. Aʾyīna-yi Pazhūhish, No 4, 1376 Sh.
- Subḥānī, Jaʿfar. Mawsūʿat ṭabaqāt al-fuqahāʾ. Qom: Muʾassisat Imām al-Ṣādiq (a). 1418-1424 AH.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Man lā yaḥḍuruh al-faqīh. Edited by Ḥasan al-Mūsawī al-Khirsān. Beirut:, 1401 AH.
- Tafrishī, Muṣṭafā b. Ḥusayn al-. Naqd al-rijāl. Beirut: 1419 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Tahdhīb al-aḥkām. Edited by Sayyid Ḥasan al-Khursān. Beirut: 1401 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥaasn al-. Al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī. Edited by Jawād Qayyūmī Iṣfahānī. Qom: 1415 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Fihrist kutub al-Shīʿa wa uṣūlihim wa asmāʾ al-muṣannifīn wa aṣḥāb al-uṣūl. Edited by ʿAbd al-ʿAzīz Ṭabāṭabāʾī. Qom: 1420 AH.