Some researchers of the Qur'an have mentioned suras al-Fath, al-Hashr, al-Sajda, al-Talaq, al-Qalam, al-Hujurat, al-Mulk, al-Taghabun, al-Munafiqun, al-Jumu'a, al-Saff, al-Jinn, Nuh, al-Mujadala, al-Mumtahana and al-Tahrim as Mumtahanat.
Mahmud Ramiyar attributed the naming of these suras as Mumtahanat to al-Suyuti in al-Itqan. It is said that since these suras are related to each other regarding the content and one of them is called al-Mumtahana, they are called Mumtahanat.
About the naming of Sura al-Mumtahana (Qur'an 60), they have said that it was called so because in the verse ten of this sura, it is mentioned that the Prophet (s) was ordered to exam the women of the Immigrants to reveal the intention of their husbands for leaving and immigration from Mecca to Medina and he (s) decided about them accordingly.
- Rāmyār, Tārīkh-i Qur'ān, p. 360.
- Rāmyār, Tārīkh-i Qur'ān, p. 596.
- Farhangnāma-yi ʿulūm-i Qurʾān, (Dictionary of Quranic sciences
- O you who have faith! When faithful women come to you as immigrants, test them.
- Khurramshāhī, Dānishnāmah-yi Qurʾān wa Qurʾān pazhūhī, p. 1255.
- Khurramshāhī, Bahāʾ al-Dīn. Dānishnāmah-yi Qurʾān wa Qurʾān pazhūhī. Tehran: Dūstān wa Nāhīd, 1377 Sh.
- Farhangnāma-yi ʿulūm-i Qurʾān. Qom: Daftar-i Tablīghāt-i Islāmī-yi Ḥawza-yi Ilmīya-yi Qom, [n.d].
- Rāmyār, Maḥmūd. Tārīkh-i Qur'ān. Tehran: Intishārāt-i Ilmī wa Farhangī, 1362 Sh.