Sanābād (Persian: سناباد) was a village near Tus wherein Imam al-Rida (a) was buried. It has been narrated that Snabad was a little village before the development of Mashhad and was regarded as one of the suburban villages around Tus. However, presently it is a neighborhood, like Nawqan, in Mashhad metropolis and its river flows in Sarab neighborhood. After Imam Rida's martyrdom in Nawqan, al-Ma'mun buried the purified body of the Imam (a) in Humayd b. Qahtaba al-Ta'i's house in Sanabad. Expansion and connection of Sanabad with other villages of the area had formed the present Mashhad.
- Yaʿqūbī, Tārīkh al-Yaʿqūbī, vol. 2, p. 453.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād, p. 464.
- Dihkhudā, Lughatnāma-yi Dihkhudā, under the word "Sanabad".
- Dihkhudā, ʿAlī Akbar. Lughatnāma-yi Dihkhudā. volume 9. Tehran: Dānishgāh-i Tehran, 1377 Sh.
- Jaʿfarīyān, Rasūl. Ḥayāt-i fikrī wa sīyāsī-yi Imāmān-i Shīʿa. Tenth edition. Tehran: Nashr-i Anṣārīyān, 1386 Sh.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿalā l-ʿibād. Edited by Saʿīd b. Jubayr. Qom: 1428 AH.
- Yaʿqūbī, Aḥmad b. Abī Yaʿqūb al-. Tārīkh al-Yaʿqūbī. Beirut: Dār Ṣādir, [n.p].