Al-Nudba Supplication (Arabic:دعاء الندبة) is one of the most famous supplications which is recommended to be recited in 4 Eids (holidays). Sayyid Radi al-Din 'Ali b. Tawus has narrated it in his book Iqbal al-a'mal. Shi'a usually recite this supplication -which has been narrated from Imam al-Sadiq (a)- on Friday mornings before the sunrise lamenting Imam al-Mahdi (a).
Ziyarah 'Ashura' • al-Warith • Amin Allah • al-Jami'a al-Kabira • Al Yasin
Takbir • Tahmid • Tahlil • Tasbih • Tasbih of Lady Fatima (a) • Salawat • al-Yunusiyya • Istighfar
al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya • Mafatih al-jinan • Misbah al-mutihajjid • Iqbal al-a'mal • Miftah al-falah
|Days and Months|
Laylat al-Qadr • 15th Sha'ban • 'Arafa • Ramadan • Rajab • Dhu l-Hijja
Nudba -in Arabic- means calling, wailing and mourning. This supplication was named so, because it includes calling and asking Imam al-Mahdi (a) for help, lament on his occultation and wail on his absence.
Authenticity of the Supplication
Sayyid Radi al-Din 'Ali b. Tawus has narrated it in his books Iqbal al-a'mal and Misbah al-za'ir chapter 7. Also, Muhammad b. Ja'far b. Mashhadi -one of the Shi'a personalities of the 6th/12th century- has narrated it in his famous book known as Mazar.
'Allama Majlisi, who had a very precise and comprehensive knowledge about narrations, hadiths, narrators and their masters, in addition to assertion of its authenticity in his books such as: Bihar al-anwar and Tuhfat al-za'ir -which he has asserted that all of the supplications in it, are authentic- he explicitly and specifically confirms that the chain of narrators of this supplication, which reaches Imam al-Sadiq (a), is authentic. Also, he adds in his book Zad al-ma'ad :
- " … Du'a al-Nudba, which contains true Shi'a beliefs and lament the occultation of Imam al-Mahdi (a), has been quoted by an authentic chain of narrators from Imam al-Sadiq (a) [and] it is sunna (recommended) to recite this supplication in 4 eids."
Time of Recitation
Recitation of Du'a al-Nudba is mustahab (recommended) in 4 eids:
Content of Du'a al-Nudba
The supplication starts by glorifying and praising Allah and sending his peace and blessing upon the Prophet (s) and his progeny. It continues explaining the purpose of choosing prophets and saints and the fact that they were approved by Allah, and then the most important part of Adam (a) and Ulu l-'Azm prophets' (five great prophets who brought a new religion: Noah (a), Abraham (a), Moses (a), Jesus (a), Muhammad (s)) lives. Also, it has been emphasized that God has appointed an executor and a successor for each of them so that Haqq (right) stays and Batil (wrong) cannot overcome the right and no one has any excuses before Allah -in hereafter- that why none of your prophets and messengers came to us so we would follow your signs.
Afterward, it proceeds with succession of Imam 'Ali (a) and after mentioning some of his virtues, it points out disloyalty and wickedness of their enemies who -against the Prophet's (s) explicit order- martyred Imam 'Ali (a) and his holy sons one after another. Then it goes on with asking for help and yearning for the last remaining infallible of the Prophet's progeny. The supplication ends with sending special salutations to the Prophet (s) and his progeny (a) and several important requests for strengthening our relations with Imam al-Mahdi (a), hastening his reappearance and establishment of the right government and elimination of wrong by him.
Some of the commentaries which has been written on Du'a al-Nudba are as follow:
- Commentary on Du'a al-Nudba written by Sadr al-Din Muhammad Hasani Mudarris Yazdi.
- 'Aqd al-jiman li nudbat Sahib al-Zaman; written by Mirza 'Abd al-Rahim Tabrizi.
- Wasilat al-qurba fi sharh Du'a al-Nudba written by Shaykh Ali kho'i.
- Commentary on Du'a al-Nudba written by Mulla Hasan Turbati Sabziwari.
- Al-Nukhba fi Sharh Du'a al-Nudba written by Sayyid Mahmud Mar'ashi.
- Commentary (or translation) on Du'a al-Nudba written by Sardar Kabuli.
- Ma'alim al-qurba fi sharh Du'a al-Nudba written by Muhaddith Urmavi.
- Waza'if al-Shi'a fi sharh Du'a al-Nudba written by Adib Isfahani.
- Kashf al-kurba written by Muhaddith Urmavi.
- Navid bamdad piruzi written by Musavi Khurram Abadi.
- Commentary and translation of Du'a al-Nudba written by Muhibb al-Islam.
- Nusrat al-Muslimin written by [Abd al-Rida Khan Ibrahimi.
- Frugh al-wilayya written by Ayatollah Lutf Allah Safi Gulpaygani.
|For the full text, see text:al-Nudba Supplication.|
- Risalat hawl Du'a al-Nubda wirrten by Muhammad Taqi Tustari.
- Risalat hawl Du'a al-Nubda wirrten by Mirjahani Isfahani.
- Ibn Tawus, PP.604-9
- Ibn Mashhadi, PP.537-584
- Majlisi, Bihar al-anwar, Vol.99, P.104
- Majlisi, Zad al-ma'ad, P.303
- Ibn Mashhadi, Muhammad b. Ja'far, al-Mazar al-kabir, Qom, Jami'at al-mudarrisin; 1419 A.H;
- Ibn Tawus, Sayyid Radi al-Din, Iqbal al-a'mal, Beirut, Mu'assisa al-a'lami li l-matbu'at, 1417 A.H;
- Majlisi, Muhammad Baqir, Bihar al-anwar, Beirut, Dar ihya' al-turath al-'arabi, 1403 A.H;
- Majlisi, Muhammad Baqir, Zad al-ma'ad, Beirut, 1423/2003;