Ruqayya bt. al-Imam 'Ali (a)
- For other people named Ruqayya, see Ruqayya (disambiguation).
|Ruqayya bt. al-Imam 'Ali (a)|
The shrine of Ruqayya bt. 'Ali
|Father||'Ali b. Abi Talib (a)|
|Mother||Sahba' bt. Rabi'a|
|Spouse(s)||Muslim b. 'Aqil|
|Children||'Abd Allah, Muhammad|
|Place of Burial||Cairo,Egypt|
Ruqayya bt. ʿAli (Arabic: رُقَيَّة بنت علي) (alive in 61/680), was the daughter of Imam 'Ali (a). She married Muslim b. 'Aqil. She was on the way to Kufa with Imam al-Husayn (a) when she received the news of the martyrdom of her husband. Also her son 'Abd Allah was martyred in the event of Karbala. She was one of the captives of Karbala.
Ruqayya's mother –Sahba' bt. Rabi'a al-Taghlibiyya- was a concubine of Imam 'Ali (a).
Ruqayya married her cousin, Muslim b. 'Aqil. It is said in the book Rayahin al-Shari'a, they had two sons named 'Abd Allah and Muhammad and a daughter. 'Abd Allah is considered as the husband of Sukayna bt. al-Husayn.
In some sources, she is referred to as "Umm Kulthum" which was probably her kunya. Sayyid Muhsin Amin referred to her as Umm Kulthum al-Wusta, distinct from Umm Kulthum al-Kubra and Umm Kulthum al-Sughra (the wife of one of 'Aqil's descendants).
Event of Karbala
She came with Imam al-Husayn (a) to Karbala. On her way to Karbala, she heard the news of the martyrdom of Muslim b. 'Aqil. Also her son, 'Abd Allah b. Muslim, was martyred in Karbala. She is one of the captives of Karbala.
The darih of the grave attributed to Ruqayya, the daughter of Imam 'Ali (a), was set up in 1416/1995, and is different with respect to artistic decorations from other silver darihs. The darih is approximately rectangular and its angles have respectively three or four netlike windows. On top of the darih, there is a small dome, and on top of the angles of its sides, there are muqarnases like the ones in the corners of the minaret of the Mosque of Kufa (which is an imitation from the ones in Masjid al-Aqmar). The base of the darih is made by green carved marble stones. The silver darih of the mausoleum of Ruqayya was designed by Dawudi Buhras of India, and it replaced the old copper darih.
- Ibn Sa'd, Al-Tabaqat al-kubra, vol.3 p.14; Ibn al-Jawzi, Al-Muntazam, vol.4 p.109; Al-Tabari, Tarikh al-umam, vol.4 p.359; Mahallati, Rayahin, vol.4 p.255-256
- Mahallati, Rayahin, vol.4 p.255-256
- Ibn 'Inaba, Umdat al-talib, p.32
- Al-Amin, A'yan al-shi'a, vol.3 p.484
- meaning in Arabic: al-kubra: the elder * al-wusta: the middle * al-sughra: the younger * they are all the daughters of Imam 'Ali (a)
- Ibn Khayyat, Tarikh, p.145; Al-Tabari, Tarikh al-umam, vol.5 p.469; Isfahani, Farzandan-i Abu Talib, vol.1 p.134; Ibn Athir, Al-Kamil, vol.9 p.412
- Ibn Khayyat, Tarikh, p.146; Mahallati, Rayahin, vol.4 p.255-256
- Al-Hamawi, Mu'jam al-buldan, vol.5 p.132
- Ibn Khayyat, Khalifa, Tarikh. Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-'Ilmiyya
- Mahallati, Dhabih Allah, Rayahin al-shari'a. Tehran: Dar al-Kutub al-Islamiyya, 1373
- Ibn Sa'd, Muhammad, Al-Tabaqat al-kubra. Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-'Ilmiyya, 1410/1990
- Ibn Jawzi, 'Abd al-Rahman b. 'Ali, Al-Muntazam fi tarikh al-ummam wa al-muluk. Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-'Ilmiyya, 1412/1992
- Tabari, Muhammad b. Jarir al-, Tarikh al-umam wa al-muluk. Beirut: Dar al-Turath, 1967
- Isfahani, Abu l-Faraj al-, Farzandan-i Abu Talib. Tehran: 'Ali Akbar 'Ilmi's bookstore, 1339
- Ibn Athir, Al-Kamil. Tehran: Mu'assisiyi Matbu'at-i 'Ilmi, 1371
- Hamawi, Yaqut b. 'Abd Allah al-, Mu'jam al-buldan. Beirut: Dar sadir 1995
- Amin, al-Sayyid Muhsin al-. A'yan al-shi'a. Dar al-Ta'aruf li l-Matbu'at, 1406
- Ibn 'Inaba. 'Umdat al-talib fi ansab al Abi Talib. Qom: Ansariya, 1417