Al-ʿAbd al-Ṣāliḥ (Arabic: العَبْدُ الصّالِح, literally: the righteous servant) is a Quranic term used to refer to some persons. Shiite and Sunni sources have referred to Imam al-Kazim (a) as "al-'Abd al-Salih" because he worshiped God so much.
"Al-'Abd al-Salih" means the righteous servant of God. The term has been used in the Qur'an in the plural form (that is, "'ibadik al-salihin" Your righteous servants). The Qur'an has referred to prophets Noah (a) and Lot (a), as two righteous servants of God. There is a hadith in which Dhu l-Qarnayn is also characterized as "al-'Abd al-Salih".
According to Shiite and Sunni sources, Imam al-Kazim (a) was known as "al-'Abd al-Salih" because he worshiped God so much. He is referred to with this title in the chains of transmission of some of his hadiths as well.
In the ziyarah text of 'Abbas b. 'Ali (a), which is transmitted from Imam al-Sadiq (a), 'Abbas (a) has been referred to as "al-'Abd al-Salih". Also, in the ziyarahs of Muslim b. 'Aqil and Hani b. 'Urwa, they are referred to as "al-'Abd al-Salih". Also, in the taslim part of the prayer, peace is sent to righteous servants of God.
- ↑ Qurʾān, 17:19.
- ↑ Qurʾān, 66:10.
- ↑ Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 12, p. 199; ʿAyyāshī, Tafsīr al-ʿAyyāshī, vol. 2, p. 343.
- ↑ Khaṭīb al-Baghdādī, Tārīkh Baghdād, vol. 13, p. 29; Yaʿqūbī, Tārīkh al-Yaʿqūbī, vol. 2, p. 414.
- ↑ See: Kulaynī, al-Kāfī, vol. 1, p. 177, 539; vol. 3, p. 59, 109; vol. 4, p. 72, 412.
- ↑ Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 12, p. 199; Ibn Qūlawayh, Kāmil al-zīyārāt, p. 257.
- ↑ Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 97, p. 428; Ibn Mashhadī, al-Mazār al-kabīr, p. 178.
- ↑ Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 97, p. 428; Ibn Mashhadī, al-Mazār al-kabīr, p. 180.
- ʿAyyāshī, Muḥammad b. Masʿūd al-. Tafsīr al-ʿAyyāshī. Edited by Rasūlī Maḥallātī. Tehran: al-Maṭbaʿa al-ʿIlmīyya, 1380 Sh.
- Ibn Mashhadī. Al-Mazār al-kabīr. Edited by Jawād Qayyūmī. Qom: Daftar-i Intishārāt-i Islāmī, 1419 AH.
- Ibn Qūlawayh, Jaʿfar b. Muḥammad. Kāmil al-zīyārāt. Edited by ʿAbd al-Ḥusayn Amīnī. Najaf: Dār al-Murtaḍawīyya, 1356 Sh.
- Khaṭīb al-Baghdādī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī. Tārīkh Baghdād. Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-ʿIlmīyya, 1417 AH.
- Kulaynī, Muḥammad b. Yaʿqūb al-. Al-Kāfī. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī & Muḥammad Ākhūndī. Tehran: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, 1407 AH.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Biḥār al-anwār. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, 1403 AH.
- Yaʿqūbī, Aḥmad b. Yaʿqūb al-. Tārīkh al-Yaʿqūbī. Beirut: Dār al-Ṣādir, [n.d].