Tha'laba b. Maymun
|Tha'laba b. Maymun|
|Companion of||Imam al-Sadiq (a), Imam al-Kazim|
|Well Known As||Abu Ishaq al-Faqih, Ishaq al-Nahwi|
|Place(s) of Residence||Kufa|
|Works||A book on hadith|
The teknonym of Tha'laba b. Maymun was "Abu Ishaq" and he was called Abu Ishaq al-Faqih, Abu Ishaq al-Nahwi and al-Asadi al-Kufi. There is no accurate information about dates of his birth and death. He was a servant of Banu Asad and Banu Salama and was famous for his piety, worshiping, good deeds, and eloquence. There is a report about his worshiping in the Mosque of Kufa and Harun al-Rashid's (r. 149/766 – 193/808) attention to him. He is also considered a reciter, grammarian and lexicographer.
He narrated from Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (a), Imam Musa al-Kazim (a) and people such as Zurara b. A'yan, Harith b. Mughiyra, Hammad b. 'Uthman and Muhammad b. Muslim al-Thaqafi. People such as Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Abi Nasr al-Bazanti, 'Abd Allah b. Muhammad al-Hajjal, 'Abd Allah b. Bukayr, Abu Sa'id al-Mukari and many others narrated from him. It is said that Tha'laba wrote a book on hadith, many transmitters of hadiths have narrated from him.
Not mentioning "Thiqa" [reliable] for him in al-Najashi's book on rijal, Fihrist asma' musannifi l-Shi'a, have made some people doubt his reliability, but this doubt is totally rootless and others have considered him reliable.
- Kashshī, Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl, p. 375; Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 117; Ṭūsī, Al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 174.
- Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 118; Qummī, Tuḥfat al-aḥbāb fi nawādir āthār al-aṣḥāb, p. 64; Khoeī, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 3, p. 409.
- Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 118; Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Kitāb al-rijāl, p. 60; Ḥillī, Rijāl al-ʿallāma al-Ḥillī, p. 30.
- Ṭūsī, Al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 333; Ḥillī, Rijāl al-ʿallāma al-Ḥillī, p. 30; Khoeī, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 3, p. 410-411.
- Najāshī, Rijāl al-Najāshī, p. 118; Ṭūsī, Al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī, p. 333; Khoeī, Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth, vol. 3, p. 409.
- Mamaqānī, Tanqīḥ al-maqāl, vol. 1, part 2, p. 196; Amīn, Aʿyān al-Shīʿa, vol. 4, p. 25.
- Kashshī, Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl, p. 412.
- Amīn, al-Sayyid Muḥsin al-. Aʿyān al-Shīʿa. Edited by Ḥasan Amīn. Beirut: 1403 AH.
- Ḥillī, al-Ḥasan b. Yūsuf al-. Rijāl al-ʿallāma al-Ḥillī. Edited by Sayyid Muḥammad Ṣādiq Baḥr al-ʿUlūm. Najaf: 1381 AH.
- Ibn Dāwūd al-Ḥillī, Ḥasan b. 'Alī. Kitāb al-rijāl. Edited by Sayyid Muḥammad Ṣādiq Baḥr al-ʿUlūm. Najaf: 1392 AH.
- Khoeī, Sayyid Abū l-Qāsim al-. Muʿjam rijāl al-ḥadīth. Beirut: 1403 AH-1983.
- Kashshī, Muḥammad b. ʿUmar al-. Ikhtīyār maʿrifat al-rijāl known as Rijāl al-Kashshī. Summarized by Muḥammad Ḥasan al-Ṭūsī. Edited by Ḥasan Muṣṭafawī. Mashhad: 1348 Sh.
- Mamaqānī, ʿAbd Allāh b. Ḥasan. Tanqīḥ al-maqāl fī ʿilm al-rijāl. Najaf: 1349 AH.
- Najāshī, Aḥmad b. ʿAlī al-. Fihrist asmāʾ muṣannifī al-Shīʿa al-mushtahir bi rijāl al-Najāshī. Edited by Mūsā Shubayrī Zanjānī. Qom: 1407-1416 AH.
- Qummī, Shaykh ʿAbbās. Tuḥfat al-aḥbāb fi nawādir āthār al-aṣḥāb. Edited by Jaʿfar Ḥusaynī. Tehran: 1370 Sh.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥaasn al-. Al-Rijāl al-Ṭūsī. Edited by Jawād Qayyūmī Iṣfahānī. Qom: 1415 AH.