|Companion of||Imam al-Kazim (a)|
|Well Known As||Ibn Muskan|
|Place of Birth||Kufa|
|Professors||Layth b. al-Bakhtari • Zurara b. A'yan • Jabir b. Yazid al-Ju'fi, ...|
|Students||Safwan b. Yahya • Yunus b. 'Abd al-Rahman • Muhammad b. Sinan, ...|
|Works||Kitab fi l-Imama • Kitab fi l-halal wa l-haram|
As a Companion of Imam al-Kazim (a)
|People of Consensus
The information on his life is minimal. But it is known that he was a companion of Imam al-Kazim (a).
According to a number of narrations he was also a companion of Imam al-Sadiq (a). On one hand, Ibn Faddal, al-Barqi and al-Tusi mentioned him as companion of Imam al-Sadiq (a) and in hadith sources of Twelver Shi'ism numerous narrations were stated from Ibn Muskan, a number of them were narrated directly from the Imam (a). On the other hand, al-Najashi cast doubt on the possibilities that he has narrated hadiths from Imam al-Sadiq (a); he believed Ibn Muskan narrated hadith only from Imam al-Kazim (a). In addition, al-'Ayyashi narrated from Yunus b. 'Abd al-Rahman, Imam al-Kazim's companion, that Ibn Muskan heard only one hadith from Imam al-Sadiq (a), although he has narrated numerous hadiths from him.
According to Shi'a rijal scholars, Ibn Muskan is definitely considered as a reliable narrator and among People of Consensus. Al-Najashi has described him as "thiqa" and "'ayn" (trustworthy). Al-'Allama al-Hilli has also described him as trustworthy.
Al-Shaykh al-Mufid in his Risalat adadiyya introduces him as one of the faqihs and adds that there is no case for his blame.
Muhaddith Qumi writes, "he is one of the great companions of Imam al-Sadiq (a), he is one of the people who Shi'a scholars have a consensus about the authenticity of their narration."
His name is mentioned in the chain of narration of 1252 hadiths.
Al-Najashi considered Kitab fi al-Imama and Kitab fi al-Halal and al-Haram written by Ibn Muskan. He explained that most of its content is originated from the narrations of his teacher Muhammad b. 'Ali al-Halabi.
Ibn Muskan has narrated from numerous masters, including:
Numerous narrators referred to Ibn Muskan, including:
- Ibn Makula, Al-Ikmal, Vol. 7, P. 257.
- Al-Barqi, al-Rijal, P. 22.
- Al-Tusi, Rijal, P.264.
- see: Ibn Babawayh, al-Tawhid, P. 137.
- Al-Najashi, al-Rijal, P. 214.
- Al-Tusi, Ikhtiyar ma'rifat al-rijal, P. 382-383.
- Al-Tusi, Ikhtiyar ma'rifat al-rijal, P.375; Al-Tusi, Fihrist, P. 196; Al-Tusi, Rijal, P. 264.
- Al-Najashi, Rijal", p. 214
- Al-Hilli, Khulasat al-aqwal, p. 194
- Al-Khoei, Mu'jam rijal al-hadith, vol. 11, p. 348
- Muhaddith Qumi, al-Kuna wa l-alqab, vol. 1, p, 408
- Al-Khoei, Mu'jam rijal al-hadith, vol. 11, p. 352
- Al-Najashi, Rijal, P.264.
- Al-Kulayni, al-Kafi, Vol. 6, P.143; Al-Tusi, Ikhtiyar ma'rifat al-rijal, P.330; Al-Tusi, Tahzib, Vol.2, P.174, 245.
- Al-Barqi, Al-Mahasin, P.145;Al-Kulayni, al-Kafi, Vol.7, P.144; Ibn Babawayh, al-Tawhid, P.352; Ibn Babawayh, 'Ilal al-sharayi' , P.377; Ibn Babawayh, Kamal al-din, Vol.1, P.262; Al-Tusi, Tahzib, Vol.1, P.307, Vol.2, P.174,285, Vol.8,P.39.
- Al-Najashi, Al-Rijal, P.215.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from عبدالله ابن مسکان in Farsi WikiShia.
- Barghi, Ahmad al-. Al-Rijal. Ed. Jalal al-Din Muhaddith. Tehran: 1342 Sh.
- Barghi, Ahmad al-. Al-Mahasin. Ed. Jalal al-Din Muhaddith. Tehran: 1370 Sh.
- Ibn Babawayh, Muhammad b. 'Ali. Al-Tawhid. Ed. Hashim Husayni Tihrani. Tehran: 1387 Sh.
- Ibn Babawayh, Muhammad b. 'Ali. 'Ilal al-sharayi' . Najaf: 1385/1966.
- Ibn Babawayh, Muhammad b. 'Ali. Kamal al-Din. Ed. 'Ali Akbar Ghaffari. Tehran: 1390 Ah.
- Ibn Ma'kula, 'Ali. Al-Ikmal. Beirut: Muhammad Amin.
- Khoei, al-Sayyid Abu l-Qasim al-. Mu'jam rijal al-hadith. Beirut: Dar al-Zahra, 1409 AH.
- Kulayni, Muhammad al-. al-Kafi. Ed. 'Ali Akbar Ghaffari. Tehran: 1388 AH.
- Najashi, Ahmad al-. Al-Rijal. Ed. Musa Shaubayri Zanjani. Qom: 1407AH.
- Tusi, Muhammad al-. Ikhtiyar ma'rifat al-rijal. Ed. Hasan Mustafawi. Mashhad: 1348 Sh.
- Tusi, Muhammad al-. Tahdhib al-ahkam. Ed. Hasan Musawi Khurasan. Tehran: 1390 AH.
- Tusi, Muhammad al-. Rijal al-Tusi. Ed. Muhammad Sadiq Bahr al-'Ulum. Najaf: 1381/1961.
- Tusi, Muhammad al-. Fihrist. Ed. Mahmud Ramyar. Mashhad: 1351 Sh.