Taḥīyyat prayer (Arabic: صلاة التحية) or prayer for Taḥīyyat of the mosque (Arabic: صلاة تحية المسجد) is a recommended prayer for respecting the mosque. It is recommended to perform two rak'as of prayer for Tahiyyat [regards] of the mosque upon entering a mosque before sitting. Tahiyyat prayer does not have any special method and the praying person can recite any sura after Sura al-Fatiha (Qur'an 1), and even can suffice to reciting Sura al-Fatiha . Also, by performing other recommended or obligatory prayers in the mosque, there is no need to perform Tahiyyat prayer.
About the manners of participating in the class by the teacher, al-Shahid al-Thani mentioned in Munyat al-murid, that if the class is held in a mosque, it is recommended that he first performs Tahiyyat prayer and then begins teaching and if the class is held in place other than a mosque, he performs prayer with the intention of gratitude and asks God for opportunity.
Based on the fatwa of most religious authorities, al-Masjid al-Haram does not require Tahiyyat prayer and circumambulating it is considered as its tahiyyat [regards]. According to al-Shahid al-Thani in al-Rawdat al-bahiyya, the same way regarding and respecting mosques is made by prayer, tahiyyat [regards] for al-Masjid al-Haram is made by circumambulation.
In Najm al-thaqib, Mirza Husayn Nuri, among Shi'a scholars of hadith, transmitted a special Tahiyyat prayer for Jamkaran mosque. It has two rak'as, in each of which Sura al-Fatiha is recited once and Sura al-Tawhid (Qur'an 112) is recited seven times. The dhikrs of ruku' and prostration are recited seven times each.
- Sharifī Ishkiwarī, Faqarāt-i fiqhīya-yi risāla ʿamalīya, vol. 1, p. 498.
- Yazdī, al-ʿUrwat al-wuthqā, vol. 1, p. 431.
- Najafī, Majmaʿ al-rasāʾil, p. 420.
- Yazdī, Sayyid Muḥammad Kāẓim al-. Al-ʿUrwat al-wuthqā, vol. 1, p. 431.
- Najafī, Majmaʿ al-rasāʾil, p. 420; Yazdī, al-ʿUrwat al-wuthqā, vol. 1, p. 431.
- Shahīd al-Thānī, Zayn al-Dīn b. ʿAlī. Munyat al-murīd, p. 205.
- Malikī, Dar wādī-yi nūr, p. 66.
- Shahīd al-Thānī, al-Rawḍa al-bahīyya, vol. 1, p. 175.
- Nūrī, Najm al-thāqib, p. 295.
- Malikī, ʿAlī. Dar wādī-yi nūr. Tehran: Intishārāt-i Mashʿar, 1389 Sh.
- Najafī, Muḥammad al-Ḥasan al-. Majmaʿ al-rasāʾil. First edition. Mashhad: Ṣāḥib al-Zamān Inistitute, 1373 Sh.
- Nawawī, Yaḥya b. Sharaf. Riyāḍ al-ṣāliḥīn min kalām sayyid al-mursalīn. Seventh edition. Dār al-Wafā, 1428 AH.
- Nūrī, Mīrzā Ḥusayn al-. Najm al-thāqib. Second edition. Qom: Intishārāt-i Masjid-i Jamkarān, 1412 AH.
- Shahīd al-Thānī, Zayn al-Dīn b. ʿAlī. Al-Rawḍa al-bahīyya fī sharḥ al-lumʿat al-Dimashqīyya. Qom: Majmaʿ al-Fikr al-Islāmī, [n.d].
- Shahīd al-Thānī, Zayn al-Dīn b. ʿAlī. Munyat al-murīd fī adab al-mufīd wa l-mustafīd. Qom: Maktab al-Aʿlām al-Islāmī, 1415 AH.
- Sharīfī Ishkiwarī, Ilyās. Faqarāt-i fiqhīya-yi risāla ʿamalīya. Qom: Āl Ayyūb, 1381 Sh.
- Yazdī, Sayyid Muḥammad Kāẓim al-. Al-ʿUrwat al-wuthqā. Qom: Markaz-i Fiqh-i al-aʾimma al-Aṭhār, 1422 AH.