- This article is about Mulla Ali Tabrizi. For other people named Tabrizi, see Tabrizi (disambiguation).
|Full Name||Ali Tabrizi|
|Well-Known As||Wa'iz Khiyabani|
|Professors||Ahmad Sharabyani, Muhammad Sadiq Sa'ati, ...|
|Permission for Hadith|
|Sayyid Abu l-Hasan Isfahani, Mirza 'Ali Aqa Shirazi, Shaykh Muhammad Husayn Kashif al-Ghita' and Sayyid Husayn Burujirdi|
|Works||Tuhfat al-ahibba' fi sharh qasida Sayyid al-shu'ara', 'Ulama al-mu'asirin, ...|
ʿAlī Tabrīzī (Arabic: علی تبریزی) (b. 1282/1866 - d. 1367/1947-8) known as Ḥāj Mullā ʿAlī Tabrīzī and also known as Wāʿiẓ Khiyābānī (Persian: واعظ خیابانی) was a scholar and eminent Shi'a preacher of 14th/20th century. He received Permission for hadith transmission from Sayyid Abu l-Hasan Isfahani, Mirza 'Ali Aqa Shirazi, Shaykh Muhammad Husayn Kashif al-Ghita' and Sayyid Husayn Burujirdi. He wrote more than 50 books and treatises. Tuhfat al-Ahibba' fi Sharh Qasida Sayyid al-Shu'ara, Waqayi' al-ayyam, and Dhakha'ir al-Asfar are some of his works. He passed away in 1367/1947-8.
Birth and Demise
According to his autobiography, he was born in Hukm Abad, a village near Tabriz, Iran in 1282/1866. He passed away in Safar 14, 1367/December 28, 1947. In another source, he passed away in Shawwal 28, 1367/ September 3, 1948.
After studying morphology (sarf), syntax (nahw), rhetoric (Balagha), logic and mathematics, he studied under teachers like: Haj Mirza Ahmad Sharabyani, Muhammad Sadiq Sa'ati, Ahmad Tahbaz, Sayyid Ahmad Khusrushahi and Mirza Asad Allah Tabrizi.
Travels to Different Cities
He traveled to Mecca, Medina, Mashhad, Khuy, Urumiyya, Zanjan, Qom, Tehran and some of the cities in Iraq. He received Permission for hadith transmission from scholars like: Sayyid Abu l-Hasan Isfahani, Mirza 'Ali Aqa Shirazi, Shaykh Muhammad Husayn Kashif al-Ghita' and Sayyid Husayn Burujirdi. Likewise, he gave Permission for hadith transmission to many scholars.
He had more than 50 works, including:
- Tuhfat al-ahibba' fi sharh qasida Sayyid al-Shu'ara': commentary on "al-Qasida al-'Ayniyya" composed by al-Himyari. It also contains biography of al-Himyari. This book is his first work.
- 'Ulama al-mu'asirin: (in Persian) biographical profiles of twelver Shi'a scholars who lived at his time.
- Waqa'i' al-ayyam: in several volumes about events and practices in Rajab, Sha'ban, Ramadan, Shawwal, and Muharram.
- Dhakha'ir al-asfar.
- Tara'if al-saha'if.
- Muntakhab al-maqasid wa muntajab al-fawa'id: 9 volumes in style of a Kashkul.
- Qazwīnī, Yāddāshthā-yi Qazwīnī, vol. 8, p. 212.
- Alwānsāz Khoeī, Fihrist-i nuskhihā-yi khaṭṭī-yi kitābkhāna-yi Ayatullah Mullā ʿAlī Wāʿiz Khīyābānī Tabrīzī, p. 42.
- Hāʾirī, Rūzshumār-i shamsī, p. 404.
- Tabrīzī, ʿUlamāʾ al-muʿāṣirīn, p. 406; Tabrīzī, Ṣiyām waqāyiʿ al-ayyām, p. 635-636; Āqā Buzurg al-Tihrānī, Ṭabaqāt aʿlām al-Shīʿa, part 1, vol. 4, p. 1468.
- Tabrīzī, ʿUlamāʾ al-muʿāṣirīn, p. 409-407; Tabrīzī, Ṣiyām waqāyiʿ al-ayyām, p. 636, 359, 654, 655, 658, 659, 661, 664, 676, 677; Āqā Buzurg al-Tihrānī, Ṭabaqāt aʿlām al-Shīʿa, part 1, vol. 4, p. 1468.
- Tabrīzī, Ṣiyām waqāyiʿ al-ayyām, p. 342-344; Tabrīzī, ʿUlamāʾ al-muʿāṣirīn, p. 406-407; Āqā Buzurg al-Tihrānī, al-Dharīʿa, vol. 22, p. 438; vol. 25, p. 129.
- Āqā Buzurg al-Tihrānī, Muḥammad Muḥsin. Al-Dharīʿa ilā taṣānīf al-Shīʿa. Edited by ʿAlī Naqī Munzawī and Aḥmad Munzawī. Beirut: Dār al-Aḍwāʾ, 1403 AH.
- Āqā Buzurg al-Tihrānī, Muḥammad Muḥsin. Ṭabaqāt aʿlām al-Shīʿa; juzʾ 1, Nuqabāʾ al-bashar fī qarn al-rābiʿ ʿashar. Mashhad: [n.p.], 1404 AH.
- Alwānsāz Khoeī, Muḥammad . Fihrist-i nuskhihā-yi khaṭṭī-yi kitābkhāna-yi Ayatullah Mullā ʿAlī Wāʿiz Khīyābānī Tabrīzī. Published in Nuskhapazhūhī magazine, No. 3, 1385 Sh.
- Qazwīnī, Muḥammad. Yāddāshthā-yi Qazwīnī. Edited by Īraj Afshār. Tehran: 1363 Sh.
- Tabrīzī, ʿAlī. Ṣiyām waqāyiʿ al-ayyām. Tabriz: [n.p.], 1385 Sh.
- Tabrīzī, ʿAlī. Waqāyiʿ al-ayyām fī tatimmat muḥarram al-ḥarām. Qom: [n.p.], 1410 AH.
- Tabrīzī, ʿAlī. ʿulamāʾ al-muʿāṣirīn. Tehran: [n.p.], 1366 AH.