Hudayth (mother of Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari (a))
|Hudayth (mother of Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari (a))|
|Places of Residence||Medina , Samarra|
|Burial Place||The Holy Shrine of 'Askariyyayn (a)|
|Notable roles||Executor of Imam Hasan al-'Askari's (a) Will|
Ḥudayth (Arabic: حُدَیث) was Imam al-Hadi's (a) wife and Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari's (a) mother. She was the executor of Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari's (a) will administrating his endowments and charities and a medium between Imam al-Mahdi (a) and people. According to Shiite sources, she was an honorable and pious woman. Since Ḥudayth was Imam al-Mahdi's (a) grandmother, she came to be known as "Jadda" (grandmother). She is buried in the holy shrine of Imam al-Hadi (a) and Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari (a).
Names and Kunyas
- Salil is immune from harms, vices and impurities. Then the Imam (a) told Salil: soon will God give His hujja (proof) to people. He will fill the earth with justice, as it is filled with cruelty.
She is admired and praised in Shiite sources. In his Jala' al-'uyun, 'Allama al-Majlisi praised her as a virtuous, honorable and poius woman, and in his Anwar al-bahiyya, Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi said that Imam al-'Askari's (a) honorable mother was the most virtuous, pious, pure, and prominent woman of her time, and narrators of hadiths counted her as an ascetic, righteous woman.
Dispute with Ja'far
Before his demise, Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari (a) sent his mother to the hajj pilgrimage. When she heard that Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari (a) passed away, she left Medina to Samarra. When she learned that her other son, Ja'far al-Kadhdhab claimed the position of imamate for himself and seized all of his father's heritage, she complained to the ruler, and the judge ruled in her favor. After a while, Ja'far lost his money, and Jadda had to pay for his living expenses, as well as those of his children and animals.
Imam Hasan al-'Askari's (a) Executor
Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari (a) appointed his mother, Hudayth, as the executor of his will and the administrator of his endowments and charities. According to some historical sources, Ahmad b. Ibrahim said that:
- In 262/875-76, I visited Hakima, the daughter of Muhammad b. 'Ali al-Rida (Imam Muhammad al-Taqi (a)), Abu l-Hasan al-'Askari's sister in Medina and talked with her about some secret issues and asked her who she takes as the Imam. She said: such and such the son of Hasan (a), and named him. I told her: did you see him or hear about him? She said: I heard about him from Abu Muhammad (Imam al-Hasan al-'Askari) (a) in a letter he wrote for his mother. I asked Hakima: where is that child? She said: he is hiding. I asked: so who should Shiites refuge to? She responded: to his grandmother, Abu Muhammad's (a) mother. I asked: should I follow someone who appointed a woman as his executor? She replied: Imam Hasan al-'Askari (a) followed Imam al-Husayn (a) who apparently addressed his will to his sister, Zaynab bt. 'Ali (a) in order to save Imam al-Sajjad (a)'s life. She then said: you are an informed person. Have you not heard in hadiths that the ninth son of Husayn (a) is alive while his heritage will be distributed?
In Kitab al-Ghayba, al-Shaykh al-Tusi wrote that Imam Hasan al-'Askari (a) appointed his mother as the executor of his will to hide the birth of his son. Al-Tusi goes on to say that the same thing was done by Imam al-Sadiq (a) who appointed five people as his executors, one of whom was a woman called Hamida Barbariyya.
- Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 50, p. 237-238.
- Nawbakhtī, Firaq al-shīʿa, p. 105.
- Qummī, Muntahā l-āmāl, vol. 2, p. 649.
- Maḥallātī, Rayāḥīn al-sharī'a, vol. 3, p. 24.
- Masʿūdī, Ithbāt al-waṣīyya, p. 244.
- Qummī, Muntahā l-āmāl, vol. 2, p. 649.
- Majlisī, Jalāʾ al-ʿuyūn, p. 989; Muzaffarī, Mādarān-i chāhārdah maʿṣūm, p. 210.
- Muzaffarī, Mādarān-i chāhārdah maʿṣūm, p. 210; Qummī, Anwār al-bahīyya, p. 473.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 313; Majlisī, Biḥār al-anwār, vol. 50, p. 237-238.
- Khuṣaybī, al-Hidāya al-kubrā, p. 313; Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 312.
- Mufīd, al-Irshād, vol. 2, p. 312.
- Masʿūdī, Ithbāt al-waṣīyya, p. 271; Dāʾirat al-maʿārif buzurg-i Islāmī, vol. 20,p. 618.
- Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn, vol. 2, p. 476.
- Maḥallātī, Maʾthar al-kubrā fī tārīkh Sāmarrāʾ, vol. 1, p. 311.
- Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn, vol. 2, p. 501.
- Ṭūsī, al-Ghayba, p. 108.
- Ṣadūq, Kamāl al-dīn, vol. 2, p. 442.
- Kulaynī, al-Kāfī, vol. 2, p. 159.
- Khuṣaybī, Ḥusayn b. Ḥamdān al-. Al-Hidāya al-kubrā. Beirut: al-Balāgh, 1377 AH.
- Kulaynī, Muḥammad b. Yaʿqūb al-. Al-Kāfī. Translated by Muḥammad Bāqir Kamari'ī. 3rd edition. Tehran: Intishārāt-i Islāmīyya, 1379 sh.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Biḥār al-anwār al-jāmiʿa li-durar akhbār al-aʾimmat al-aṭhār. Third edition. Beirut: Dār Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth al-ʿArabī, 1403 AH.
- Majlisī, Muḥammad Bāqir al-. Jalāʾ al-ʿuyūn: tārīkh-i chāhārdah maʿṣūm. Edited by ʿAlī Imāmīyān. Qom: Surūr, 1382 Sh.
- Maḥallātī, Ḍhabīḥ Allāh. Rayāḥīn al-sharī'a. Tehran: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmīya, [n.d].
- Maḥallātī, Ḍhabīḥ Allāh. Maʾthar al-kubrā fī tārīkh Sāmarrāʾ. Qom: Maktabat al-Ḥaydarīyya, 1384 Sh.
- Masʿūdī, ʿAlī b. al-Ḥusayn al-. Ithbāt al-waṣīyya. Third edition. Qom: Muʾassisat Anṣārīyān, 1426 AH.
- Mudarrisī Tabātābaʾī, Sayyid Ḥusayn. Maktab dar farāyand-i takāmul. New Jersey: Muʾassisa Intishārātī Darwin, 1374 Sh.
- Muzaffarī, Ḥaydar. Mādarān-i chāhārdah maʿṣūm. Qom: Intishārāt-i Markaz-i Jahānī ʿUlūm-i Islāmī, 1382 Sh.
- Mufīd, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad al-. Al-Irshād fī maʿrifat ḥujaj Allāh ʿalā l-ʿibād. Edited by Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt li-Iḥyāʾ al-Turāth. Qom: Kungira-yi Shaykh al-Mufīd, 1372 Sh.
- Qummī, Shaykh ʿAbbās. Muntahā l-āmāl fī tawārīkh al-Nabī wa al-Āl. Qom: Jamāʿat al-Mudarrisīn, [n.p].
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Kamāl al-dīn wa itmām al-niʿma. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Tehran: Islāmīyya, 1359 Sh.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Kamāl al-dīn wa itmām al-niʿma. Edited by ʿAlī Akbar Ghaffārī. Tehran: Islāmīyya, 1395 AH.
- Ṭūsī, Muḥammad b. al-Ḥasan al-. Al-Ghayba. Edited by ʿIbād Allāh Tihrānī & ʿAlī Aḥmad Nāṣiḥ. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Maʿārif al-Islāmīyya, 1411 AH.