- This article is about mother of Imam al-Hadi (a), Sayyida Umm al-Fadl. For other people named Umm al-Fadl, see Umm al-Fadl (disambiguation).
Mother of Imam al-Hadi (a)
|Well-known Relatives||Imam al-Jawad (a) (husband), Imam al-Hadi (a) (son)|
|Place of Residence||Samara|
|Burial Place||Holy Shrine of 'Askariyyan, Samara|
Samāna al-Maghribīyya (Arabic:سمانة المغربية) was the wife of Imam al-Jawad (a) and the mother of Imam al-Hadi (a). All the children of Imam al-Jawad (a) were born from Samāna. Her grave is in the Shrine of 'Askariyyayn (a) in Samarra.
Samana al-Maghribiyya known as "Sayyida" had the teknonym of Umm al-Fadl and was the wife of Imam al-Jawad (a) and the mother of Imam al-Hadi (a). The teknonym of al-Ma'mun's daughter and the other wife of Imam al-Jawad (a) was also Umm al-Fadl. The name of Imam al-Hadi's (a) mother is mentioned as Asma'. Samana was a maidservant who was bought for 70 dinars by the order of Imam al-Jawad (a). She fasted and prayed a lot. In a hadith, Imam al-Hadi (a) mentioned her mother a true knower of his rights and a dweller of paradise. Samana's grave is in the Shrine of 'Askariyyayn (a) in Samarra, beside the graves of Imam al-Hadi (a) and, Narjis (Imam al-Mahdi's (a) mother), Hakima (Imam al-Jawad's (a) daughter) and Hudayth (Imam al-'Askari's (a) mother). Samana has been mentioned among women who transmitted hadiths.
All the children of Imam al-Jawad (a) were born from Samana. Samana's sons were Imam al-Hadi (a) Abu Ahmad Musa Mubarqa', Abu Ahmad Husayn and Abu Musa 'Imran, and her daughters were Fatima, Khadija, Umm Kulthum, and Hakima.
- Maḥallātī, Maʾthar al-kubrā, vol. 3, p. 19.
- Amīn, Aʿyān al-Shīʿa, vol. 2, p. 36; Ṭabrisī, Iʿlām al-warā bi-aʿlām al-hudā, p. 355.
- Ibn Abi al-Thalj. Tārīkh Ahl al-Bayt, p. 124.
- Ḥasūn, Aʿlām al-nisāʾ, p. 517.
- Maḥallātī, Rayāḥīn al-sharī'a, vol. 3, p. 23.
- Ṭabarī, Dalāʾil al-imāma, p. 216.
- People who are buried beside Imam al-Hasan al-Askari (a)
- Quhpāʾie, Majmaʿ al-rijāl, vol. 7, p. 176.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Al-Khiṣāl, vol. 2, p. 326; Qummī, Muntahā l-āmāl, vol. 2, p. 569.
- Amīn, al-Sayyid Muḥsin al-. Aʿyān al-Shīʿa. Edited by Ḥasan Amīn. Beirut: Dār al-Tʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, [n.d].
- Baghdādī, Ibn Abi al-Thalaj. Tārīkh Ahl al-Bayt naqlan ʿan al-Aʾimma (a). Qom: Muʾassisat Āl al-Bayt, 1410 AH.
- Ḥasūn, Muḥammad. Mashkūr, Umm ʿAlī. Aʿlām al-nisāʾ al-muʾmināt. Tehran: Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Maḥallātī, Ḍhabīḥ Allāh. Rayāḥīn al-sharī'a. Tehran: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmīya, [n.d].
- Maḥallātī, Ḍhabīḥ Allāh. Maʾthar al-kubrā fī tārīkh Sāmarrāʾ. Qom: Maktabat al-Ḥaydarīyya, 1384 Sh.
- Quhpāʾie, ʿInāyat Allāh. Majmaʿ al-rijāl. Qom: Muʾassisa-yi Maṭbūʿātī-yi ʿIsmā'ilīyān, [n.d].
- Qummī, Shaykh ʿAbbās. Muntahā l-āmāl fī tawārīkh al-Nabī wa al-Āl. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī Tābiʿat li Jamāʿat al-Mudarrisīn, [n.p].
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Al-Khiṣāl. 1st edition. Tehran: Sāzmān-i Chāp wa Intishārāt-i Jāwīdān, 1362 Sh.
- Ṭabrisī, Faḍl b. al-Ḥasan al-. Iʿlām al-warā bi-aʿlām al-hudā. Edited by Hasan Khirsan. Tehran: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, [n.d].
- Ṭabarī, Muḥammad b. Jarīr al-. Dalāʾil al-imāma. Qom: Dār al-Dhakhāʾir, [n.d].
- People who are buried beside Imam al-Hasan al-Askari (a) www.farsnews.ir/news. visited 2020/12/02.