Ruqayya bt. Imam 'Ali (a)
- For other people named Ruqayya, see Ruqayya (disambiguation).
|Ruqayya bt. Imam 'Ali (a)|
The shrine of Ruqayya bt. 'Ali
|Name||Ruqayya bt. 'Ali (a)|
|Father||'Ali b. Abi Talib (a)|
|Mother||Sahba' bt. Rabi'a|
|Spouse(s)||Muslim b. 'Aqil|
|Children||'Abd Allah, Muhammad|
|Place of Burial||Cairo,Egypt|
Ruqayya bt. ʿAli (Arabic: رُقَیة بنت علی) (alive in 61/680), was the daughter of Imam 'Ali (a). She married Muslim b. 'Aqil. She was on the way to Kufa with Imam al-Husayn (a), when she received the news of the martyrdom of her husband. Also her son 'Abd Allah was martyred in the event of Karbala and after the battle she was captivated.
Ruqayya married her cousin, Muslim b. 'Aqil. It is said in the book Rayahin al-Shari'a, they had two sons named 'Abd Allah and Muhammad and a daughter. 'Abd Allah is considered as the husband of Sukayna bt. al-Husayn.
Event of Karbala
She came with Imam al-Husayn (a) to Karbala. On her way to Karbala, she heard the news of the martyrdom of Muslim b. 'Aqil. Also her son, 'Abd Allah b. Muslim, was martyred in Karbala. She is one of the captives of Karbala.
- Ibn Sa'd, Al-Tabaqat al-kubra, vol.3 p.14; Ibn al-Jawzi, Al-Muntazam, vol.4 p.109; Al-Tabari, Tarikh al-umam, vol.4 p.359; Mahallati, Rayahin, vol.4 p.255-256
- Mahallati, Rayahin, vol.4 p.255-256
- Ibn Khayyat, Tarikh, p.145; Al-Tabari, Tarikh al-umam, vol.5 p.469; Isfahani, Farzandan-i Abu Talib, vol.1 p.134; Ibn Athir, Al-Kamil, vol.9 p.412
- Ibn Khayyat, Tarikh, p.146; Mahallati, Rayahin, vol.4 p.255-256
- Al-Hamawi, Mu'jam al-buldan, vol.5 p.132
- Ibn Khayyat, Khalifa, Tarikh. Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-'Ilmiyya
- Mahallati, Dhabih Allah, Rayahin al-shari'a. Tehran: Dar al-Kutub al-Islamiyya, 1373
- Ibn Sa'd, Muhammad, Al-Tabaqat al-kubra. Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-'Ilmiyya, 1410/1990
- Ibn Jawzi, 'Abd al-Rahman b. 'Ali, Al-Muntazam fi tarikh al-ummam wa al-muluk. Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-'Ilmiyya, 1412/1992
- Tabari, Muhammad b. Jarir al-, Tarikh al-umam wa al-muluk. Beirut: Dar al-Turath, 1967
- Isfahani, Abu l-Faraj al-, Farzandan-i Abu Talib. Tehran: 'Ali Akbar 'Ilmi's bookstore, 1339
- Ibn Athir, Al-Kamil. Tehran: Mu'assisiyi Matbu'at-i 'Ilmi, 1371
- Hamawi, Yaqut b. 'Abd Allah al-, Mu'jam al-buldan. Beirut: Dar sadir 1995