Sahl b. Sa'd al-Sa'idi
|Sahl b. Sa'd al-Sa'idi|
|Full Name||Abu l-ʿAbbās Sahl b. Saʿd b. Mālik al-Anṣārī al-Sāʿidī|
|Kunya||Abu l-Abbas, Abu Yahya|
|Place(s) of Residence||Medina|
|Death/Martyrdom||88/707 or 91/710|
|Presence at Ghazwas||Battle of Tabuk|
|Other Activities||Transmitter of Hadith of Ghadir, Companion of Imam Ali (a)|
Abu l-ʿAbbās Sahl b. Saʿd b. Mālik al-Anṣārī al-Sāʿidī (Arabic: ابوالعَبّاس سَهل بن سَعد بن مالِک الأنصاري الساعِدي), (d. 88/707 or 91/709-710) was one of the companions of the Prophet (s) and a close companion to Imam 'Ali (a). He narrated many hadiths among which is Hadith of Ghadir. He was honored for giving two allegiance to the Prophet (s), presence in the Battle of Tabuk and praying towards two qiblas. He encountered the caravan of captives of Karbala in Damascus and reported on how they entered the city. He was the last companion of the Prophet (s) who passed away in Medina.
In the Prophet's (s) Time
He was form Banu Sa'ida tribe and was a famous companion of the Prophet (s). He was 15 when the Prophet (s) passed away. It is said that his name was Hazan (sadness) and the Prophet (s) named him Sahl (easy). His nickname was Abu l-'Abbas or Abu Yahya. al-Shaykh al-Tusi has counted him among the companions of Imam 'Ali (a).
He was honored for swearing two allegiance to the Prophet (s), praying to two qiblas and being admired by the Prophet (s). He is listed among the great companions who served and accompanied the Prophet (s) all the times. Most of the narrations from the Prophet (s) have been narrated by this group and companions of the same rank, Because they lived longer and people referred to them.
Narration of Hadiths
He narrated hadiths from the Prophet (s), Imam 'Ali (a), Lady Fatima (a) and some companions. Abu Hurayra, Sa'id b. Musayyib, Zuhri, Abu Hazim and his son, 'Abbas b. Sahl, narrated hadiths form him. He narrated a hadith from Lady Fatima (a) that he asked her about the Imams and she answered that the Prophet (s) named 'Ali (a) and eleven of his descendants as Imams one after another. He is one of the witnesses and narrators of the event of Ghadir Khumm. He also narrated the famous Hadith of Rayat from the Prophet (s) about Imam 'Ali (a):
In Imam al-Husayn's (a) Words
When people of Kufa lined up against Imam al-Husayn (a) for battle, Imam al-Husayn (a) delivered a sermon and mentioned Sahl b. Sa'd as a witness. He said: "If you do not believe me, ask Jabir b. 'Abd Allah al-Ansari, Zayd b. Arqam and Sahl b. Sa'd (who are present now) what they heard from the Prophet (s) about me."
Encounter with Caravan of Captives of Karbala
In Damascus, where Ahl al-Bayt (a) were taken to after the martyrdom of Imam al-Husayn (a), he caught up with the caravan of Ahl al-Bayt and asked the daughter of Imam al-Husayn (a) if she had any request. She told him to ask the carrier of Imam al-Husayn's (a) head to move further from women of Ahl al-Bayt so that the people would not look at them.
Defense of Ahl al-Bayt
In 74/693-4, Hajjaj b. Yusuf summoned him. Hajjaj wanted to humiliate Sahl so he rebuked him for his rejection of 'Uthman and then ordered to brand his neck [with lead]. According to some sources, Sahl was a friend to Imam 'Ali (a) and his household, thus Hajjaj persecuted him.
During his residence in Medina, a person from Al Marwan was appointed as the governor of the town. He summoned Sahl and mocked the nickname of Imam 'Ali (a), Abu Turab (the father of soil), before Sahl and wanted him to swear at the Imam 'Ali (a), but he refused and mentioned that Imam 'Ali (a) liked this nickname the most.
- al-Thaqafi, P. 438
- Dinawari, P.370
- al-Thaqafi, P.438
- al-Tusi, P.66
- al-Mufid, P.106
- Ibn Sa'd, Vol.8, P.378
- al-Waqidi, P.767
- Ibn Athir, Vol.2, P.320
- Khazzaz Qumi, P.195
- Ibn Tawus, Vol.1, P.139
- Ibn Tawus, Vol.1, P.58
- al-Tabari, Vol.7, P.3024; al-Majlisi, Vo.45, P.5
- al-Majlisi, Vol.45, P.127
- al-Majlisi, Vol.45, P.127-8
- al-Thaqafi, P.438
- Ibn Bitriq, P.449; al-Thaqafi, P.438
- Dinawari, P.370; Ibn 'Abd al-Barr, Vol.2, P.665
- Ibn Athir, Vol.2, P.320; Ibn 'Abd al-Barr, Vol.2, P. 665
- Dinawari, Abu Hanifa Ahmad b. Dawud. 1371 sh. Al-Akhbar al-Tiwal Trans. by: Mahmud Mahdawi Damghani. Tehran: Nashr Ney.
- Ibn 'Abd al-Barr, Abu 'Umar Yusuf b. 'Abd Allah. First Ed. 1412 AH / 1992. Al-Isti'ab fi ma'rifat al-ashab Ed. 'Ali Muhammad al-Bajawi. Beirut: Dar al-Jayl.
- Ibn Athir, 'Izz al-Din 'Ali. 1409 AH/1989. Usd al-ghaba fi marifat al-sahaba. Beirut: Dar al-Fikr.
- Ibn Bitriq, Yahya b. Hasan al-Hilli. 1407 AH. Al-'Umda. Qom: Intisharat Jami'a Mudarrisin.
- Ibn Sa'd, Muhammad. 1374 sh. Tabaqat al-Kubra Trans. by: Mahmud Mahdawi Damghani. Tehran: Intisharat Farhang wa Andishe.
- Ibn Tawus, Sayyid 'Ali b. Musa. 1400 AH. Al-Tara'if. Qom: Chapkhane Khayyam.
Khazzaz Qumi, 'Ali b. Muhammad. 1401 AH. Kifayat al-athar. Qom: Intisharat Bidar.
- Al-Majlisi, Muhammad Baqir. 1404 AH. Bihar al-anwar. Beirut: Mu'assisa al-Wafa'.
- Al-Shaykh al-Mufid, Muhammad b. Muhammad b. Nu'man. 1413 AH. Al-Irshad. Qom: Publication of World Congress for al-Shaykh al-Mufid.
- Al-Tabari, Muhammad b. Jarir. 1375 sh. Al-Tarikh Trans. by: Abu l-Qasim Payande. Tehran: Asatir.
- Al-Thaqafi, Ibrahim b. Muhammad. 1410 AH. Al-Gharat. Qom: Mu'assisa Dar al-Kitab.
- Al-Tusi, Muhammad b. Hasan. 1415 AH. Rijal al-Tusi. Qom: Intisharat Jami'i Mudarrisin.
- Al-Waqidi, Muhammad b. 'Umar. n.d. Al-MaqaziTrans. by: Mahmudd Mahdawi Damghani. Tehran: Markaz Nashr Danishgahi.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from سهل بن سعد الساعدي in Farsi Wikishia.