Sūra al-Munafiqūn (The Hypocrites) is the 63rd sura of the Qur'an. It is a Madani sura located in the juz' 28. Sura al-Munafiqun is about hypocrites and speaks about their actions and characteristics. This sura orders the Prophet (s) to be cautious about the danger of hypocrites and advises believers to give in the way of God and keep away from hypocrisy. In Tafsir al-Qummi, it is mentioned that the verse 8 [Note 1] of this sura was revealed about 'Abd Allah b. Ubayy who wanted to expel the Immigrants from Medina. About the merits of recitation of this sura, it is transmitted from the Prophet (s) that whoever recites Sura al-Munafiqun, will be cleansed from any hypocrisy.
This sura is called al-Munafiqun because its main topic is the hypocrites.
Place and Order of Revelation
Sura al-Munafiqun is a Madani and the 105th sura revealed to the Prophet (s). It is now the 63rd sura of the Qur'an located in the juz' 28.
Number of Verses and Other Features
Sura al-Munafiqun describes hypocrites and shows their bitter enmity towards Muslims. In this sura, the Prophet (s) is ordered to be cautious about the danger of hypocrites. It also advises believers to spend in the way of God (infaq) and keep away from hypocrisy.
Occasion of Revelation
About the occasion of revelation of sura al-Munafiqun, it is mentioned in Tafsir al-Qummi that in one of the battles of the Prophet (s), two of his companions disputed over pulling water from a well and one of the Helpers was injured. 'Abd Allah b. Ubayy became very angry of hearing that and threatened that when they return to Medina, he would expel abased people from that city. These words of 'Abd Allah which meant his wish to expel the Immigrants from Medina is mentioned in the verse 8 of sura al-Munafiqun, "they say, 'When we return to the city, the mighty will surely expel the abased from it.'"
Zayd b. Arqam who witnessed this event, quoted the words of 'Abd Allah for the Prophet (s), but 'Abd Allah went to the Prophet (s) and gave testimony about the Oneness of God and the mission of His Prophet (s) and rejected the words of Zayd. Shortly afterwards, the verses one to eight of Sura al-Munafiqun were revealed.
Merits and Benefits
In Majma' al-bayan fi tafsir al-Qur'an, it is transmitted from the Prophet (s) that whoever recites Sura al-Munafiqun, will be cleansed of any hypocrisy. Based on another hadith mentioned in Thawab al-a'mal, Imam al-Sadiq (a) advised Shi'a to recite the Qur'an 62 and al-Munafiqun in the Zuhr prayer on Friday. It is mentioned in this hadith that, whoever does so, is like having done the Prophet's (s) action and his reward is entering the paradise. According to the view of some jurists, reciting Sura al-Munafiqun is recommended in the second rak'a of Friday prayer.
- Makārim Shīrāzī, Tafsīr-i nimūna, vol. 24, p. 143.
- Maʿrifat, Āmūzish-i ʿulūm-i Qurʾān, vol. 2, p. 168.
- Khurramshāhī, Dānishnāma-yi Qurʾān, vol. 2, p. 1256.
- Ṭabāṭabāyī, al-Mīzān, vol. 19, p. 278.
- Khamagar, Muhammad, Sakhtar-i suraha-yi Qur'an-i karim, Mu'assisa-yi Farhangi-yi Qur'an wa 'Itrat-i Nur al-Thaqalayn, Qom: Nashra, ed.1, 1392 Sh.
- Qummī, Tafsīr al-Qummī, vol. 2, p. 368.
- Qummī, Tafsīr al-Qummī, vol. 2, p. 369.
- Qummī, Tafsīr al-Qummī, vol. 2, p. 369-370.
- Ṭabrisī, Majmaʿ al-bayān, vol. 10, p. 437.
- Ṣadūq, Thawāb al-aʿmāl, p. 118.
- Khomeini, Tawḍīḥ al-masāʾil, vol. 1, p. 848.
- They say, ‘When we return to the city, the mighty will surely expel the weak from it.’ Yet all might belongs to Allah and His Apostle and the faithful, but the hypocrites do not know.
- Khomeini, Rūḥollah. Tawḍīḥ al-masāʾil. Edited by Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn Banī Hāshimī. Eighth edition. Qom: Daftar-i Intishārāt-i Islāmī, 1424 AH.
- Khurramshāhī, Bahāʾ al-Dīn. Dānishnāma-yi Qurʾān wa Qurʾān pazhūhī. Tehran: Dūstān - Nāhīd, 1377 Sh.
- Makārim Shīrāzī, Nāṣir. Tafsīr-i nimūna. Tehran: Dār al-Kutub al-Islāmīyya, 1374 Sh.
- Maʿrifat, Muḥammad Hādī. Āmūzish-i ʿulūm-i Qurʾān. Translated to Farsi by Wakīlī. Tehran: Sazmān-i Tablīghāt-i Islāmī, 1367 Sh.
- Qummī, ʿAlī b. Ibrāhīm al-. Tafsīr al-Qummī. Edited by Mūsawī Jazāʾirī. Fourth edition. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb, 1367 Sh.
- Ṣadūq, Muḥammad b. ʿAlī al-. Thawāb al-aʿmāl wa ʿiqāb al-aʿmāl. Qom: Dār Sharīf al-Raḍī, 1406 AH.
- Ṭabāṭabāyī, Muḥammad Ḥusayn al-. Al-Mīzān fī tafsīr al-Qurʾān. Qom: Daftar-i Intishārāt-i Islāmī, 1417 AH.
- Ṭabrisī, Faḍl b. al-Ḥasan al-. Majmaʿ al-bayān. Tehran: Nāṣir Khusru, 1372 Sh.