Muhammad b. al-Imam 'Ali (a)
|Muhammad b. al-Imam 'Ali (a)|
Burial place of a group of Martyrs of Karbala
|Well Known As||Muhammad al-Asghar|
|Wellknown Relatives||Imam Ali (a), Imam al-Hasan (a), Imam al-Husayn (a)|
|Cause of Martyrdom||Martyred in the Battle of Karbala|
Muḥammad b. Alī b. Abī Tālib (Arabic: محمد بن علي بن أبي طالب) known as Muḥammad al-Aṣghar (martyred in 61/681) was among the children of Imam 'Ali (a) and the martyrs of the Battle of Karbala. To support his brother Imam al-Husayn (a), he accompanied him from Medina to Karbala and was martyred on the day of 'Ashura.
Name and Lineage
He was among the children of Imam 'Ali (a) and was called Muhammad al-Asghar and was smaller than Muhammad al-Hanafiyya. Some sources identified him as Abu Bakr b. Ali. The name of his mother was Layla, daughter of Mas'ud Armiya. Some sources reported that his mother was a female servant and some reported her Asma' bt. 'Umays.
About his virtues, it has been written that he was a swift fighter and loyal to Imam al-Husayn (a). He also was far-sighted, knowledgeable about religion, patient and also knowledgeable about the Qur'an and Islamic teachings.
To support his brother, Imam al-Husayn (a), he accompanied him from Medina to Karbala and was martyred at the age of 36. It is said that he was martyred by Zahr b. Badr al-Nakha'i or by the arrow shot by 'Abd Allah b. 'Aqaba al-Ghanawi. His head was severed by a man from Banu Aban b. Darim on the day of 'Ashura.
In Karbala, he cried out the battle cry below during the fight:
- My father is 'Ali (a), who had great honors,
- From Hashim, the truthful, the generous and the honorable,
- This is Husayn (a), son of the Prophet (s),
- Him I defend by the sharpened sword,
- I sacrifice my life for this honorable brother,
- O God, so give me great rewards.
His Name in the Ziyarat al-Shuhada
His name is mentioned in the Ziyara al-Shuhada, "Peace be upon Muhammad b. Amir al-Mu'minin (a), who was killed by Abani al-Darimi (May God curse him) and the peace from God be upon you, O Muhammad and upon your patient households."
- السَّلَامُ عَلَی مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ أَمِیرِ الْمُؤْمِنِینَ قَتِیلِ الْأَبَانِی الدَّارِمِی (لَعَنَهُ اللهُ) وَ ضَاعَفَ عَلَیهِ الْعَذَابَ الْأَلِیمَ وَ صَلَّی اللهُ عَلَیک یا مُحَمَّدُ وَ عَلَی أَهْلِ بَیتِک الصَّابِرِینَ.
- The material for this article is mainly taken from محمد بن علي بن أبي طالب in Farsi WikiShia.