Eighteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The eighteenth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثامن عشر من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), which he recited when a misery dissipated or needs were fulfilled. In this supplication, Zayn al-‘Abidin (a) makes references to the grounds of tragedies befalling people, expressing his gratitude to God for the good fate and banishing the tragedies.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The eighteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is a supplication recited by Imam al-Sajjad (a) when a misery dissipated or his needs were fulfilled. Mamduhi Kirmanshahi takes the supplication to indicate that Imam al-Sajjad (a) was always concerned with God and the afterlife in all circumstances. Here are the doctrines of the eighteenth supplication within three sections:
- Gratitude for the good fate
- Life in this world as a prelude for the genuine life (afterlife)
- Thankfulness of God when a tragedy is banished
- Knowledge of God and the world as a way of happiness
- Hidden grounds of tragedies that befall people
- What ends in nothingness will be nothing (this-worldly blessings)
- What ends in eternity is worthwhile and considerable (afterlife blessings)
- Welfare in the afterlife is better than welfare in this world.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the seventeenth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Eighteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 166.
- Translation and commentary of Eighteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya (Persian)
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 103-104; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 166-174.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 3, p. 219-228.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 239-240.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 225-226.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 413-415.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 45.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 107.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 103-104.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 166-174.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2, p. 187-191.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.