Seventeenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The seventeenth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء السابع عشر من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted form Imam al-Sajjad (a), in which he takes refuge to God from the evils of Satan. In this supplication, the Imam (a) points to all sorts of hostilities and deceits of Satan as well as ways of preventing him from breaking into one's heart. The supplication refers to human denigration because of his negligence of divine servitude, the plea for the position of exclusive servants in order to be redeemed from Satanic temptations, and beneficence toward others.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The main theme of the seventeenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is to take refuge to God from Satan's temptations. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) delineates all sorts of Satan's enmities and deceits as well as ways of preventing him from breaking into one's heart and from meddling in one's decisions. Below are the doctrines of this supplication within 16 sections:
- Taking refuge to God from Satan's enmities and deceits
- The human denigration by abandoning worships as a result of Satan's temptations
- To make obnoxious acts seem good and to make good acts seem loathsome are ways of Satan's infiltration inside the human heart
- Asking God for the position of exclusive servants in order to be protected against Satan's temptations
- Fending off the ways of Satan's infiltration through sincere worships
- Praying for the humility of Satan
- Divine punishment as the consequence of friendship with Satan
- The human heart as Satan's entrance
- Asking for being awakened from the slumber of ignorance
- Supplication and the plea for God's help are shields against Satan
- Benevolence (praying for monotheists to be protected from the evils of Satan)
- The relation between individuals' and society's righteousness and corruption
- Satan's craving for leading people astray
- Asking God to thwart Satan's plans
- Praying for the defeat of Satan's army (armies of reason and ignorance).
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the seventeenth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The seventeenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Seventeenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 120.
- Translation and commentary of Seventeenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 21-98; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 120-164.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 3, p. 171-218.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 227-238.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 213-223.
- Faḍl Allāh, and Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 389-412.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 43-45.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 103-106.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 21-98.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 120-164.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2 p. 161-185.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Khalajī, Muḥammad Taqī. Asrār-i khāmūshān. Qom: Partuw Khurshīd, 1383 Sh.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 Sh.