Thirtieth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirtieth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثلاثون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), in which he asks God to help him repay his debts and protect his reputation. In this supplication, Imam (a) points to effects of poverty and wealth on people's lives, taking refuge to God from squandering. Other requests of Imam al-Sajjad (a) in this supplication include a generous and moderate spirit, companionship with the poor, and abstinence from vanity and arrogance.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The main theme of the thirtieth supplication is to ask God to help him repay his debts. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) points to the effects of poverty and wealth on one's life, asking God to provide him with sufficient livelihood in order to attain divine proximity and donate to the poor. Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- Taking refuge to God to protect one's reputation and to repay one's debts
- Devastating impacts of debt on one's mind
- Taking refuge to God from the humiliation of debts in one's life in this world and its troubles after death
- Praying for freedom from hardships of indebtedness and for having enough wealth and livelihood
- Taking refuge to God from squandering
- Praying to God for having a generous and moderate spirit
- Praying to have the opportunity to have legitimate livelihood
- Taking refuge to God from arrogance and selfishness because of abundant wealth
- Asking God to provide one with the attitude of companionship with the poor and patience toward them
- Praying to be given afterlife rewards for material hardships in this world
- Exploiting one's wealth to arrive at divine proximity.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the thirtieth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirtieth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Thirtieth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 545.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 93-113; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 545-560.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 4, p. 339-368.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 377-382.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 387-392.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 99-122.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 66-7.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 160-1.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 93-113.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 545-560.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2, p. 499-523.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.