Fifth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fifth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الخامس من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a) in which he prays for himself, his relatives and friends so that they remain steadfast on the right path, asking for divine blessing, guidance, proximity, and safety. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) points to the unending wonders of creation, the effects of relying on divine mercy, turning to divine blessings, and the unboundedness of divine sovereignty.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin fi sharh-i sahifat Sayyid al-Sajidin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan (in Farsi) by Husayn Ansarian.
The main theme of the fifth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya consists in prayers for himself, his relatives and his friends so that they remain steadfast on the right path and the servitude of God, as well as prayers for blessings, guidance, and safety. Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- Unending wonders of creation as signs of divine greatness
- Unboundedness of divine rule and sovereignty
- Prayer for liberation from disgrace in this world and punishment in the afterlife
- Asking for the mercy of God whose mercy is imperishable
- Asking for God's proximity
- Asking the Exalted God for human dignity
- Asking for protection against dishonor from God who knows all secrets and the interior of man
- Effects of relying on divine mercy (self-sufficiency and absence of fear from detachment from others)
- Taking refuge to God's directions from the stratagems of enemies and immunity from incidents of times
- Asking for the blessing of divine protection and guidance
- Taking refuge to God's assistance and guidance from the evil of any humiliating and misguiding power
- Asking for divine honor and bestowment
- Realization of divine greatness and blessings
- The greatness of the position of divine callers (those who call to God, not to themselves).
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, and Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, the fifth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.
The fifth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, and Asrar-i khamushan by Muhammad Taqi Khalaji in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Fifth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 3, p. 347-565; Khalajī, Asrār-i khāmūshān, p. 299-536.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 107-118.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 97-103.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 115-131.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 2, p. 135-173.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 29-30.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 3, p. 347-565.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 337-356.
- Khalajī, Asrār-i khāmūshān, vol. 2, p. 299-536.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Diyār-i āshiqān; jāmiʿ-i Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1373 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Riyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-ruḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Milāk, 1420 AH.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa al-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfiyya, 1407 AH.
- Khalajī, Muḥammad Taqī. Asrār-i khāmūshān. Qom: Partuw-i Khurshīd, 1383 Sh.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Ḥasan. Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ-i Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Introduced by Āyatullāh Jawādī Āmulī. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 Sh.