The fifty-second supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثاني والخمسون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a) in which he implores God to satisfy his needs. In this supplication, he refers to God’s power over, and knowledge of, the whole being. Moreover, everything is said to return to God. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) notes human deficiencies, repeatedly begging God to satisfy his needs. Other themes of the supplication include the characteristics of those who have been deceived by this world and repudiation of polytheists.
The fifty-second supplication is a supplication in al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, in which Imam al-Sajjad (a) implores God in asking for what he needs. According to Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi in his exposition of the supplication, as blameworthy as it is to implore other people to help one, it is praiseworthy to implore God for one’s needs.
Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- God’s knowledge encompassing and dominating the whole being (nothing being hidden from God on the Earth and in the sky)
- The most humble people being those who most persistently comply with the divine commands
- The denial of God arising a misconception of Him
- The refutation of prophets by polytheism
- God’s power over the whole being
- The inevitability of death for all creatures
- Repudiation of those who worship something other than God
- Confession to the inadequacy of one’s acts, and the greatness of one’s wrongdoings and sins to God
- Characteristics of those who have been deceived by this world: absurdity, ignorance, and love for this world
- Personal desires as preventing one from growth
- Asking God in spite of being dominated by wishes
- Asking God in spite of being dominated by this world
- Asking God in spite of having committed many sins
- Asking God, except whom there is no lord
- One’s self-sufficiency by serving God
- The necessity of reliance on God’s generosity
- Pure servitude and full attention to God as the greatest wishes of a perfect man.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the fifty-second supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fifty-second supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, in Persian.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 341.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 341-362; Commentary of 52th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 7, p. 365-394.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 647-655.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 717-724.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 614-629.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 102-103.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 293-295.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 611-622.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 337-362.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 559-565.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.