Thirty-third supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-third supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثالث والثلاثون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), which he recited when he wanted to ask God for the best. The supplication refers to knowledge as a factor in satisfaction in the face of divine predestination. Moreover, it involves requests for the position of submission and certainty, as well as avoidance of sins and negligence of God.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The thirty-third supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is a supplication recited by Imam al-Sajjad (a) when he asked God for the best. In his commentary on the supplication, Mamduhi Kirmanshahi talks about istikhara (literally: asking God for the best). In his view, istikhara is a way of receiving the divine guidance when servants cannot determine their duties through reflection and consultation. Here are the doctrines in this supplication:
- Asking God for the best of everything
- Asking God for the position of submission and certainty
- Asking for avoidance of sins and negligence
- Contentment with the divine predestination
- Knowledge as the factor of satisfaction toward divine predestination
- Asking for the good fate.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the thirty-third supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-third supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Thirty-third supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 161.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 161-169; Commentary of 33th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 5, p. 124-154.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 419-433.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 443-7.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 189-202.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 68-72.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 180-1.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 227-238.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 159-169.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 67-77.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.