Twenty-fifth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-fifth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الخامس والعشرون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), concerning children. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) asks God for righteous children, praying for their benevolence, longevity, and esteem. Moreover, he takes refuge to God from the evils of Satan's temptations, delineating his ways of infiltration into people's hearts.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The twenty-fifth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is a supplication for children, in which Imam al-Sajjad (a) talks about mutual rights of parents and children, wishing for children's enjoyment of afterlife and spiritual blessings. Here are the doctrines of the supplication within 13 sections:
- Asking for righteous children
- Praying for children’s longevity and esteem
- Praying for their benevolence (good deeds accompanied by piety and insightfulness)
- Seeking God’s help in training one’s children and being kind to them
- Praying for the protection of one’s children against Satan’s dominion
- Satan’s temptations to deviate people: discouraging them from righteous actions, encouraging them to commit sins, instigating doubts in religious beliefs, and distracting people with long wishes
- Praying for the fulfilment of one’s needs
- Abundant benefits of relation with God
- Wishing for the esteem and pride and other good wishes for the believers
- Taking refuge to God from the punishment of the Hell
- Asking for the good in this world and the afterlife.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the twenty-fifth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-fifth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Twenty-fifth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 415.
- Irfan website: Translation and commentary of Twenty-fifth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya (Persian)
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 509-534; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 415-445.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 4, p. 93-148.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 327-336.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 323-336.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 639-657.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 59-60.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 141-4.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 509-534.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 415-445.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2, p. 419-429.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.