Fortieth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fortieth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الأربعون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), which he recited when he remembered death or heard about someone’s death. In this supplication, the Imam (a) asks God to protect him against being deceived by long wishes and to do righteous actions to prepare for a good death. In this supplication, God is asked to provide him with intimacy with death and the passion for meeting God.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The fortieth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is a supplication recited by Imam al-Sajjad (a) when he heard about someone’s death. In this supplication, the Imam (a) asks God to not let long wishes make him ignorant of death. He asks to be prepared for death by doing righteous actions, to be intimate with death, and not to be afraid of it.
Here are the doctrines in the supplication:
- Avoidance of long wishes
- Asking for protection against the deceptions of long wishes
- Long wishes as major obstacles to the human perfection
- Forgetfulness of death as resistance to the reality of being
- The passion for meeting God
- Asking for having the opportunity to do righteous actions as a preparation for death
- Asking for a death like that of the righteous
- God as the warrantor of the rewards of those who do good deeds and as the corrector of the deeds of wrongdoers
- Dying good is as desirable as living good.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the fortieth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fortieth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Fortieth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 210.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 309-316; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 281-294; Commentary of 40th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 5, p. 339-362.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 461-4.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 489-492.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 291-304.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 76-7.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 200-1.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 267-285.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 279-294.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 143-153.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.