Thirteenth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirteenth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثالث عشر من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a) concerning people's need for God and God's self-sufficiency. The supplication makes references to God's innumerable blessings and invariability of the divine wisdom. In this supplication, deprivation and disappointment, seeking one's needs from people other than God, and sins are regarded as factors that lead to one's distance from God. Moreover, Imam al-Sajjad (a) characterizes supplication while prostrating and sending peace and regards to the Prophet (s) and his household as ways of facilitating God's answer to one's supplications.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The main theme of the thirteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is the human need for his Lord and his inevitable return to God. The supplication also points to the inability of creatures to fulfill their needs. It then makes requests from God. Here are the doctrines of the thirteenth supplication, which are articulated within 25 sections by Imam al-Sajjad (a):
- God is the ultimate desire of those who beg
- Existential surrender of all beings toward God's power
- Divine blessings being innumerable and munificent
- The need of creatures for God and God's self-sufficiency
- God's unending treasury
- God as the goal and destination of all motions
- Invariability of divine wisdoms
- God's absolute perfection
- God as the only one who can solve problems
- Disappointment as the fate of seeking one's needs from anyone other than God
- Seeking one's needs only from God, asking for His help, and having a favorable opinion of Him
- Divine help and regard contributing to one's avoidance of errors and misguidance
- Hopefulness out of one's faith in God
- Sin as the greatest ground of one's distance from God
- Asking for divine grace, rather than divine justice
- Supplication to God
- Prayer for not being deprived of divine grace and mercy
- Entrusting God with everything
- Sending regards to the Prophet and his household facilitating the fulfilment of one’s needs
- Human tranquility in virtue of divine bestowments
- God never asking for anything from His servants in exchange for His blessings
- God's inexhaustibility toward people's supplications
- The opportunity for supplication by virtue of divine predestination
- Supplication while prostrating
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, and Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, the thirteenth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.
The thirteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Thirteenth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 562.
- Translation and commentary of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiya
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 5, p. 165-218; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 562-608.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 183-190.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 159-169.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 317-332.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 3, p. 41-3.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 37-38.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 5, p. 165-218.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 562-608.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2 p. 69-92.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Khalajī, Muḥammad Taqī. Asrār-i khāmūshān. Qom: Partuw Khurshīd, 1383 Sh.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Ḥasan. Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.