Twenty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-fourth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الرابع والعشرون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), in which he prays for his father and mother. In this supplication, Zayn al-'Abidin (a) asks God to provide one with the opportunity to serve one's parents, referring to children's duties toward their fathers and mothers. Moreover, he asks God to forgive the sins of his parents in exchange for the hardships they have undergone because of their children, and on the other hand, to forgive children by virtue of their prayers for their parents. In this supplication, the Imam (a) indicates that people are incapable of doing justice to their parents, asking God to help him to discharge his duties toward them.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi (in Farsi).
The twenty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya involves prayers for mothers and fathers, referring to their rights toward their children. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) delineates the rights of parents toward children as well as children's duties toward their parents. Here are the doctrines of the supplication within 15 sections:
- Sending regards to Muhammad (s) and his household is effective in drawing divine mercy
- The dignity of the household by virtue of the Prophet's existence
- Prayer for the honor of one's father and mother before God
- Asking God for an opportunity for serving one's father and mother
- The solidarity of the family as a result of kindness toward parents
- Giving priority to the needs of one's parents against one’s own needs, and preferring their satisfaction over one’s own
- Downplaying one’s benefaction to one’s parents and magnifying their benefaction to oneself
- Leniency and kindness toward one’s father and mother
- Talking gently to one’s father and mother
- Asking for divine reward for one’s parents because of bringing up their children
- Asking for the forgiveness of the sins of one’s parents because of the hardships they tolerated on part of their children
- Forgiving one’s parents for their failures toward us
- The rights of parents toward children are more obligatory than the rights of children toward parents
- Confession to one’s inability to do justice to one’s parents
- Asking for God’s help to discharge one’s duties toward one’s parents
- Asking for the highest place for one’s parents
- Remembering one’s parents at all times
- One’s forgiveness by virtue of prayer for one’s parents
- The forgiveness of one’s parents by virtue of their benefaction to their children
- Prayer for the intercession of one’s parents.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the twenty-fourth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Twenty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 390.
- Irfan website: Translation and commentary of Twenty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya (Persian)
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 479-502; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 390-410.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 4, p. 37-91.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 317-326.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 311-322.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 617-638.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 56-9.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 136-140.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 6, p. 479-502.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 390-410.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2, p. 397-411.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.