Thirty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-fourth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الرابع والثلاثون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a) which he recited when he was afflicted or when he saw someone who was afflicted with the disgrace of sins. In this supplication, God is praised as concealing the sins and flaws. It emphasizes taking lessons from God's concealment, as well as repentance from sins.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The thirty-fourth supplication was recited by Imam al-Sajjad (a) when he was afflicted or when he saw someone who was afflicted and disgraced by sins. According to Mamduhi Kirmanshahi in his commentary on the supplication, every event is instructive for the faithful, and the most instructive event is the observation of the fate of those who commit misdeeds, since they manifest the fact that deeds have consequences—a relation between existence and legislation, and a scene from resurrection. Here are the doctrines in this supplication:
- A special praise to God who conceals the sins
- God's concealment of sins is an essential constitutive element of the social life
- God's proper application of His attribute of concealment of sins
- Taking lessons from God's concealment of sins
- Repentance from sins
- Passion for God and taking refuge to God from negligence
- God's greetings to the purest people, Muhammad (s) and his household
- The obligation of obeying Muhammad (s) and his household..
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the thirty-fourth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The thirty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Thirty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 425.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 173.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 171-179.
- Commentary of 34th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 5, p. 158-173.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 425-6.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 449-452.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 203-8.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 72.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 182-3.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 3, p. 171-9.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 81-3.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.