Tenth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The tenth supplication of Al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء العاشر من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a). In this supplication, God is asked to treat His servants with grace and not justice, because the former demands forgiveness and the latter demands punishment, and His servants endure divine punishment. The supplication also points to man's need for God and Satan's delight when man disobeys God. Another theme of the supplication is that God obliges Himself to accept man's prayers.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin fi sharh-i sahifat Sayyid al-Sajidin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan (in Farsi) by Husayn Ansarian.
The main theme of the 10th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya consists in making recourse to God's grace and mercy and asking for His help. Here are the doctrines of this supplication in its six parts:
- Asking God to treat His servant with grace, rather than justice
- Treating people with justice demands their punishment, while treating the with grace demands their forgiveness
- Servants can only find salvation in divine forgiveness
- Servants cannot endure divine punishments
- Man’s need for God
- God’s promise to answer people's prayers and solve their problems
- Knowing Satan and his means for deceiving people
- Satan's delight when people commit sins
- Satan blames people when they disobey God.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, and Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, the tenth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.
The tenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Tenth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Translation and commentary of 10th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya (Persian)
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 5, p. 75-96; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 465-482.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 159-165.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 137-140.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 275-284.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 2, p. 425-441.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 34-35.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 5, p. 75-96.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 465-482.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol.1, p. 519-525.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Diyār-i āshiqān; jāmiʿ-i Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Riyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-ruḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Milāk, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa al-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.*
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Ḥasan. Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ-i Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Introduced by Āyatullāh Jawādī Āmulī. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 Sh.