Fifty-fourth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fifty-fourth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الرابع والخمسون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), which he recited for emancipation from remorse and desolation. In this supplication, God is referred to as the best remover of worries, and the best fate is asked from Him.
The fifty-fourth supplication is a supplication in al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, in which Imam al-Sajjad (a) asks God to remove his worries, remorse, and desolation. According to Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi in his exposition of the supplication, remorse in this-worldly and afterlife affairs as well as material and spiritual matters is inevitable, and under such circumstances a believer only takes refuge to God.
Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- God as the only remover of worries and remorse
- Making recourse to God’s attributes to find a way out of problems
- Asking God for the best fate and destiny
- Asking God with the request of him whose need is intense and whose strength is frail from God
- Prayer for death of honesty, deeds, and morality
- Taking refuge to God from the worst predestined fate
- Asking for a passion for God like that of those who love Him
- Asking for a fear from God like that of the divine saints
- The careful monitoring of one’s deeds by the divine guards
- The requirement of both fear and hope
- Afterlife blessings as best divine donations
- Prayers for physical health
- Asking for rescue from misguiding seditions
- Asking for servitude of God as a higher degree than the Heaven
- Prayers for persistence in the performance of religious rulings without a fear from others
- God’s greetings to His apostle and his household.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the fifty-fourth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fifty-fourth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, in Persian.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 380.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 380-394; Commentary of 54th supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, Irfan website (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 7, p. 413-446.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 661-667.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 731-738.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 636-646.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 103-105.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 299-301.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 631-640.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 4, p. 377-394.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 3, p. 577-583.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.