Twenty-eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-eighth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثامن والعشرون من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), when he prayed and took refuge to God. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) points out that it is a result of rational misguidance to ask anyone but God for one's needs and that one should take lessons from other people's mistakes. Moreover, he points to exclusive attributes of God, such as oneness, to require detachment from anyone but God in order to have union with God. He describes God as one who fulfils one's needs.
The main theme of the twenty-eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is to pray to God and to take refuge to Him. The supplication is deemed as the manifestation of the most modest relation between people and God. Moreover, the supplication is said to be evidence of Imam al-Sajjad's profound knowledge of God and being. It indirectly teaches what one should know about God when praying. Here are the doctrines of the supplication:
- Detachment from anyone but God in order to have union with God
- Turning to God wholeheartedly
- To cease hoping in someone who needs someone else in turn
- To cease hoping in benefactions from anyone but God
- It is a rational misguidance and witless for an indigent person to ask another indigent person for his needs
- Humiliation of those who seek esteem from anyone but God
- The necessity of taking lessons from other people's mistakes
- God as fulfilling the needs of indigent people
- One should not pin one's hopes on anyone but God
- God's exclusive attributes: oneness, absolute power, self-sufficiency, and superiority
- God's mercy encompassing all beings
- God is exalted from having counterparts.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani,, Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, the twenty-eighth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The twenty-eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Twenty-eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 7, p. 77-81.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 513.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 513-526; Irfan website: Translation and commentary of Twenty-eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya (Persian)
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 4, p. 281-310.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 369-372.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 373-380.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 2, p. 79-88.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 65.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 156-7.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 513-526.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 2, p. 477-483.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.