Eighth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The eighth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الثامن من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), in which he refuges to God from blameworthy actions and immoral attitudes such as cupidity, anger, improper bias, insistence on sins, and deceiving people, which lead to one's destruction.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin fi sharh-i sahifat Sayyid al-Sajidin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan (in Farsi) by Husayn Ansarian.
In the eighth supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) refuges to God from distressful things, immorality, and blameworthy acts. This supplication points to 44 things each of which constitutes a reason for man's destruction. Here are the doctrines implicit in this supplication within its 10 parts:
- The outburst of cupidity and avarice
- Intense anger
- Dominance of jealousy
- Lack of patience
- Paucity of contentment
- Bad temper
- Excess in lustfulness
- Improper bias
- Following one's personal desires
- Rejection of guidance
- Putting oneself into hardship
- Preferring the wrong over the right
- Insistence on sins
- Minimization of sins and indolence in worships
- Pride and humiliation of the indigent
- Failure to do justice to one's inferiors
- Failure to be grateful toward other people's goodness
- Helping the oppressor and abandoning the oppressed
- Seeking what one has no right to
- Ignorant talk
- Deceiving people
- Selfishness in one’s conduct
- Wishful thinking
- Having an ugly inner life
- Minimization of minor sins
- Dominance of Satan
- Failure to seize the moment
- A king's oppression
- Squandering and suffering penury
- Blaming one's enemies
- Needing one's fellow men
- Sudden death without having provided enough means for the afterlife
- Great regret and tremendous tragedy
- Misery and bad fate
- Deprivation from rewards and suffering from punishments.
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, and Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, the eighth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.
The eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, and Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Eighth Supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 4, p. 225.
- Translation and commentary of eighth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya Irfan Website.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 4, p. 225-419; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 435-450.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 141-153.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 127-132.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 199-259.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 2, p. 325-400.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 33-34.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 4, p. 225-419.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 1, p. 435-450.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol. 1, p. 415-495.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Diyār-i āshiqān; jāmiʿ-i Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1371 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Riyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-ruḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Milāk, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa al-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfiyya, 1407 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Ḥasan. Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ-i Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Introduced by Āyatullāh Jawādī Āmulī. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 Sh.