Fourteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fourteenth supplication of al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya (Arabic: الدعاء الرابع عشر من الصحيفة السجادية) is a supplication transmitted from Imam al-Sajjad (a), in which God is asked to rescue one from the oppression of oppressors. In this supplication, Imam al-Sajjad (a) makes references to God's knowledge of the story of the oppressed, asking God to help him overcome grudges and resentment over the enemy. Moreover, the Imam (a) asks God to bestow upon him the position of contentment and submission.
This supplication is expounded thoroughly in such commentaries as Riyad al-salikin (in Arabic) by al-Sayyid 'Ali Khan al-Madani and Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian and Shuhud wa shinakht by Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahid (in Farsi).
The main theme of the fourteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is prayer for the oppressed and seeking God's help in the face of oppressors. Moreover, in this supplication, God is asked to prevent us from being oppressors, to help us overcome our grudges and resentment, and to help us purify ourselves from moral vices. Below are the doctrines of the fourteenth supplication, which are articulated by Imam al-Sajjad (a) within 16 sections:
- The scope of divine knowledge; His knowledge of life stories of the oppressed
- God as the best witness in the entire universe
- God as the helper of the oppressed and the enemy of oppressors
- Praise for anti-oppressive practices and blame for passivity toward oppression
- Weakness and abjection of oppressors
- Complaint to God about oppression and oppressors
- Observance of the manners of servitude in all circumstances
- Asking God to prevent us from oppressing others
- Prayer for overcoming grudges and resentment over one's enemy
- Seeking divine mercy in exchange for being oppressed
- God as the only one who can solve people's problems
- Asking God to punish oppressors and save the oppressed
- Asking for avoidance of greed and divine punishment
- Asking God for rewards
- Asking God to answer one's prayers
- Asking God to preserve our faith
- The oppressed being tested with the oppression they undergo, and oppressors being tested with the oppression they impose
- Asking God for the position of contentment and submission (if it is in our interest that reclamation of our rights be postponed to the day of resurrection, then we should ask God to provide us with patience).
In the commentaries of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya, such as Fi zilal al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya by Muhammad Jawad Mughniya, Riyad al-'arifin by Muhammad b. Muhammad al-Darabi, Afaq al-ruh by Muhammad Husayn Fadl Allah, and Riyad al-salikin by Sayyid Ali Khan al-Madani, the fourteenth supplication is explicated. The words used in the supplication is also elucidated in lexical commentaries such as Fayd Kashani's Ta'liqat 'ala l-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya and 'Izz al-Din al-Jaza'iri's Sharh al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
The fourteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya is expounded in such commentaries as Diyar-i ashiqan by Husayn Ansarian, Shuhud wa shinakht by Muhammad Hasan Mamduhi Kirmanshahi, Sharh wa tarjumi-yi Sahifi-yi Sajjadiyya by Sayyid Ahmad Fihri, and some other books in Persian.
|For the full text, see text:Fourteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya.|
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 34.
- Translation and commentary of Fourteenth supplication of al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 5, p. 223-290; Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 34-53.
- Mughnīya, Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa, p. 191-201.
- Dārābī, Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn, p. 171-182.
- Faḍl Allāh, Āfāq al-rūḥ, vol. 1, p. 333-350.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn, vol. 3, p. 43-73.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 38-39.
- Jazā'irī, Sharh al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, p. 90-93.
- Anṣārīyān, Diyār-i āshiqān, vol. 5, p. 223-290.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht, vol. 2, p. 31-53.
- Fihrī, Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya, vol.2 p. 97-104.
- Anṣārīyān, Ḥusayn. Dīyār-i Āshiqān: tafsīr-i jāmiʿ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Payām-i Āzādī, 1372 Sh.
- Dārābī, Muḥammad b. Muḥammad. Rīyāḍ al-ʿārifīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Edited by Ḥusayn Dargāhī. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1379 Sh.
- Faḍl Allāh, Sayyid Muḥammad Ḥusayn. Āfāq al-rūḥ. Beirut: Dār al-Mālik, 1420 AH.
- Fihrī, Sayyid Aḥmad. Sharḥ wa tarjuma-yi Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Nashr-i Uswa, 1388 Sh.
- Fayḍ al-Kāshānī, Muḥammad b. al-Murtaḍā al-. Taʿlīqāt ʿalā l-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Tehran: Muʾassisat al-Buḥūth wa l-Taḥqīqāt al-Thiqāfīyya, 1407 AH.
- Jazāʾirī, ʿIzz al-Dīn. Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Beirut: Dār al-Taʿāruf li-l-Maṭbūʿāt, 1402 AH.
- Madanī Shīrāzī, Sayyid ʿAlīkhān. Rīyāḍ al-sālikīn fī sharḥ al-Ṣaḥīfa Sayyid al-Sājjidīn. Qom: Muʾassisat al-Nashr al-Islāmī, 1435 AH.
- Mughnīya, Muḥammad Jawād al-. Fī zilāl al-Ṣaḥīfa al-Sajjādīyya. Qom: Dār al-Kitāb al-Islāmī, 1428 AH.
- Mamdūḥī Kirmanshāhī, Shuhūd wa shinākht; tarjuma wa sharḥ Ṣaḥīfa-yi Sajjādīyya. Qom: Būstān-i Kitāb, 1388 SH.